Manchester United have agreed a transfer fee with Barcelona for midfielder Frenkie de Jong, Spanish journalist Oriol Domenech claims.
The Netherlands international has been earmarked as the prime target for manager Erik ten Hag, having previously worked together at Ajax.
It is now reported that a fee has been finalised between the Blaugrana and United for the Dutchman, though a move is far from happening at the moment.
Ten Hag has made multiple calls to De Jong to try and convince him over a transfer, but the 25-year-old does not want to join United in the upcoming transfer window.
The ball-playing midfielder has responded to his former head coach with a ‘no’. This could be related to the club’s failure to qualify for next season’s Champions League.
De Jong was terrific from the holding midfield role for Ajax in 2018/19 when he was managed by Ten Hag. This earned him his big-money move to the Catalan giants.
He has since struggled to replicate the same consistency, which is probably due to the fact that he has played in central midfield over his preferred position.
Ten Hag could bring the best out of him with a reunion at Old Trafford, but it appears the midfielder is not keen, particularly after United’s dismal league campaign.
The exact fee agreed between the clubs has not been revealed, but it was recently claimed by ESPN that Barcelona were eyeing at least £75 million for his services.
It is unclear whether United have met the fee or negotiated less, but all of this appears in a losing cause, considering De Jong has refused to join them this summer.
- Man Utd confirm long-term deal for Zidane Iqbal, Fernandez and Garnacho assigned new squad numbers
- Man United goalkeeper Nathan Bishop closing in on Wycombe Wanderers loan move
- Manchester United join race for Marco Asensio as Ajax put 80m price tag on Antony
- Man Utd to make transfer offer for Denzel Dumfries
- Frenkie de Jong open to joining Man Utd as they near agreement with Barcelona
- Man Utd may need to spend £130m to land Antony and Lisandro Martinez
- Cristiano Ronaldo and Harry Maguire were involved in captaincy dispute
- Man Utd ready to battle Chelsea for Matthijs de Ligt
- Man Utd aim to seal Frenkie de Jong deal before Thursday
- Man Utd’s pre-season starts: Erik ten Hag’s demands, returning players and De Jong latest