Manchester United have finally reached an agreement with Barcelona over the transfer fee for midfielder Frenkie de Jong, reputed journalist Fabrizio Romano reports.
The Red Devils have been in constant negotiations for the 25-year-old over the past month, and earlier on Monday, CEO Richard Arnold and football director John Murtough were in Barcelona to hold a high level meeting.
It was recently reported that United had a broad agreement of €65 million plus €20m for the Netherlands international, but Romano now reveals the club have agreed to pay €75m of the €85m fee up front.
The transfer still depends on United agreeing personal terms with De Jong. The midfielder will need to be convinced with his priority being to continue at Camp Nou next term.
United still have work to do to sign De Jong
United have managed to cross the hurdle of negotiating the transfer fee with the Blaugrana, but they will need to persuade De Jong over a summer switch.
While De Jong is reportedly pleased with the Red Devils’ interest, the midfielder is still said to prefer to stay with the Blaugrana as Champions League football is a priority for him.
Hence, United have their work cut out in convincing him, but should remain optimistic of doing so due to the presence of manager Erik ten Hag.
The Dutch tactician played a key role in his development at Ajax. De Jong enjoyed his best football under him in 2018/19 where he played in the number six role.
This earned him a dream move to Barcelona where he has not necessarily played in his preferred spot, with Sergio Busquets being their regular holding midfielder.
A move to Old Trafford would allow him to reunite with his former boss and operate in his fancied deep-lying midfield role. This could be a key factor in luring him in the coming days.
De Jong would provide a big upgrade in United’s midfield with his excellent distribution, ball control and ability to create chances with his superb dribbling skills.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Manchester United plan to enter the transfer race for Moises Caicedo
- Impressive stats come to the fore following massive performance from Man Utd star Bruno Fernandes for Portugal
- Real Madrid join Man Utd in race to sign Argentine star Enzo Fernandez
- Facundo Pellistri shines for Uruguay in 2-0 World Cup defeat to Portugal
- FA Cup third round draw: Man Utd to host Everton at Old Trafford
- Casemiro scores wonder goal as Manchester United duo help Brazil move into last 16 at the World Cup
- Man Utd plan to recall Ethan Laird if Aaron Wan-Bissaka leaves in January
- Man Utd target Sergej Milinkovic-Savic impresses for Serbia in World Cup thriller vs Cameroon
- Man Utd should sign Vincent Aboubakar from Al-Nassr on loan in January
- Manchester United midfielder Fred opens up on taking inspiration from legendary World Cup-winning Brazil squad