Manchester United have agreed a deal in principle with Fenerbahce for the sale of midfielder Fred.
The Brazil international has been fancied to leave the Red Devils throughout the summer following the club’s purchase of Mason Mount from Chelsea.
Fulham were initially considered as the main suitors for the player before Galatasaray joined the hunt. The Turkish outfit agreed terms with the Brazilian.
However, Fenerbahce have now won the race for his services. United have confirmed a deal in principle and he will undergo his medical tests today.
The Red Devils have not disclosed the fee for the transfer, but it has already been reported by Fabrizio Romano that the club will receive €15 million.
United have made the right decision on Fred
The Brazilian has been a key player for the Red Devils. He has produced some stand-out displays, but has lacked the consistency over a long period of games.
The €139,000-a-week star has had a fantastic work rate over the years but distribution wise, he has been unconvincing. He had a pass accuracy of 81 per cent last term.
With the arrival of Mount this summer, Fred was expected to head for the exit door. United were initially expecting €23m, but have accepted much less for his sale.
In our view, United have made the right decision to sell him to Fenerbahce. They have recouped valuable funds and could focus on signing another new midfielder.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com, Sofascore.com & Capology.com
- ‘If you are good enough, you are old enough’: Erik ten Hag says Kobbie Mainoo is ready to face Galatasaray
- Valencia and Real Sociedad eyeing potential summer move for Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause
- Preview: Galatasaray vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Sofyan Amrabat’s future at United no longer obvious with Kobbie Mainoo’s emergence
- Man United interested in Leipzig striker Timo Werner
- Stats show Harry Maguire has fared better than Arsenal star William Saliba in defensive actions