Manchester United have accelerated their efforts to sign LDU Quito midfielder Oscar Zambrano during the ongoing transfer window, according to Diario Ole.
The Red Devils recently joined Luton Town in the race to sign the 19-year-old sensation, who has been described as the ‘new Moises Caicedo’ by El Futbolero.
It is now reported that the club are standing shoulder to shoulder with Luton for the teenager and have matched the transfer bid from the Hatters.
A final decision is being held up due to Zambrano refusing to give up 15% of his rights.
Diario Ole still claim that a deal worth €7 million could be finalised in the next few hours and United will be hoping to win the battle for his services.
Earlier today, Fabrizio Romano revealed that Bournemouth are also preparing a bid for the wonderkid.
Red Devils need to avoid another Caicedo setback
United had the opportunity to land Caicedo on the cheap in January 2021. He was available for only €5m, but Brighton & Hove Albion beat them to his signature.
Within the space of one year, Caicedo developed into one of the most sought-after defensive midfielders in European football with his consistent performances.
The Ecuadorian sealed a British-record transfer to Chelsea last summer and has continued to impress.
The Red Devils will have learnt a good lesson from this, and it seems they are now keen on prising away Zambrano ahead of the likes of Luton and Bournemouth.
Brighton are also contenders for his signature, but the big reputation and worldwide following of United should give them a huge advantage over the English trio.
Zambrano, who is a strong ball-playing defensive midfielder, should give preference to United. It appears a no-brainer decision as he could establish himself in the number six role.
The likes of Casemiro, Sofyan Amrabat and possibly Scott McTominay could leave in the summer. Kobbie Mainoo and Zambrano could be United’s future midfield duo.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man United player ratings vs Nottingham Forest: Casemiro keeps silverware hopes alive for the Red Devils
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Antony starts
- Former Manchester United ace John O’Shea assumes interim charge of Ireland
- Manchester United are keen on signing Ajax goalkeeper Diant Ramaj
- Man Utd are possible destination for Atalanta star Giorgio Scalvini
- Manchester United youngster Ethan Williams set to sign new contract
- Manchester United: Sao Paulo make stance clear on Casemiro transfer
- Mason Greenwood harbours no great desire to play for Manchester United again
- Man Utd join Arsenal in race to sign Besiktas wonderkid Semih Kilicsoy
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Kambwala starts