Manchester United are planning to trigger a one-year extension clause in Aaron Wan-Bissaka’s contract to keep him at the club until the summer of 2025, the Daily Mail reports.
After a shaky start to life under Erik ten Hag’s leadership, Wan-Bissaka has established himself as a vital part of the Dutch manager’s set-up, but injuries have limited his contribution this season.
The 25-year-old had featured five times in the Premier League this season, contributing an assist before picking up a hamstring injury in the 3-1 defeat to Brighton & Hove Albion last month.
He was in line for a new contract after the summer transfer window closed, but talks over an extended deal have gone cold since his lengthy spell on the sidelines.
However, Man United are not taking any risks regarding the Englishman’s long-term future at Old Trafford and are likely to activate a one-year extension clause in his contract.
Talks over a new long-term deal are expected to kick off at some point this season, but the club want to allow the defender to focus on his recovery.
Wan-Bissaka returned to first-team training ahead of the Manchester derby, but Ten Hag opted against risking him during the 3-0 defeat to Manchester City.
It remains to be seen whether or not he will pass the fitness test ahead of Wednesday’s crunch League Cup fourth-round clash against Newcastle United.
However, the weekend trip to Craven Cottage, where Man United will face Fulham, represents Wan-Bissaka’s best chance at returning to the starting line-up.
After a disappointing outing against their local neighbours last time out, pressure continues to mount on Ten Hag who, despite his side’s woes, believes they are on the upward trajectory.
Man United will be eager to return to winning ways when they host Newcastle but may need to be wary of the threat from the Magpies, who knocked out Man City in the third round.
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action
- Picture: Man Utd defender returns to training but Lindelof out & Rashford doubtful
- Rising from the ashes – Manchester United’s spectacular November revival
- ‘An incredible, good player’: Erik ten Hag on Marcus Rashford ahead of Bournemouth game
- Borussia Dortmund want €30 million or Jadon Sancho as Manchester United eye Donyell Malen, talks scheduled for today
- Erik ten Hag turns down Manchester United players’ request for more days off after complaints over workload and scheduling