Manchester United have made contact with Sporting Lisbon to sign young prodigy Nuno Mendes, as per The Sun.
The left-back has enjoyed a spectacular season with the Portuguese outfit who recently ended their 19-year wait to win the league title.
The teenage sensation has been a crucial part of the Sporting squad, making 44 appearances across all competitions.
Interestingly, the youngster has the same agent as Bruno Fernandes who joined the Red Devils in January 2020.
The Sun further reports that the new Primeira Liga champions will demand a transfer fee in the region of £52 million.
A few days ago, Daily Mail revealed that Manchester City are eager to sign the full-back as Pep Guardiola aims to strengthen his squad for next season.
Mendes earned his first international call-up for Portugal in March and may get a place in Fernando Santos’ Euro 2020 squad.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer already has two solid left-backs, Luke Shaw and Alex Telles, in his squad.
Chasing another player for that position seems an odd choice given that United need competition for Aaron Wan-Bissaka on the other flank.
The club is also still on the lookout for a centre-back and a right-winger.
The COVID-19 pandemic has had a huge impact on the club’s finances and it is imperative that they spend wisely this summer.
- Predicted Man Utd line-up (4-3-1-2) vs Arsenal, Ronaldo and Maguire return
- Tactical Analysis: What Ralf Rangnick’s Manchester United could look like
- Mark Lawrenson states his prediction for Man Utd vs Arsenal
- Man Utd fans praise Fred’s midfield performance in Chelsea draw
- Mark Lawrenson states his prediction for Chelsea vs Man Utd
- Man Utd could be without seven players for Chelsea clash
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Chelsea
- ‘Carrick’s at the wheel’: Jamie Carragher aims dig at Rio Ferdinand after Man Utd beat Villarreal
- Man Utd fans hail David de Gea’s performance vs Villarreal
- Michael Carrick delivers verdict on Manchester United’s win over Villarreal