Manchester United goalkeeper Andre Onana is considering quitting international football again after a miserable Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) campaign with Cameroon, according to Daily Mail.
The €40 million-rated ace reversed his decision to retire from the national team last year.
However, he featured in just one of the four games for Cameroon at AFCON.
He missed the opening clash after turning up late due to his participation in Man United’s 2-2 draw with Tottenham Hotspur.
Onana started between the sticks in the 3-1 loss to Senegal and was dropped to the bench for the group games against Gambia and Nigeria.
He initially retired from the Cameroon set-up due to a row with Cameroon FA president Samuel Eto’o.
Instability around Andre Onana not helping Man United
The 27-year-old has started in all of Man United’s games this season, except the recent FA Cup clash with Newport County.
Altay Bayindir made his debut in goal for the Red Devils.
Erik ten Hag admitted Bayindir had a composed debut but hinted that Onana could return to the starting XI against Wolverhampton Wanderers on Thursday.
The former Inter Milan star arrived at Old Trafford with a big reputation but has failed to live up to the hype.
His shot-stopping skills need significant improvement. Man United have conceded goals in large numbers this season.
Fragile defence and injuries are a significant factor, but so are Onana’s dismal performances.
Being United’s first-choice keeper is not easy due to the high scrutiny it attracts.
However, the Red Devils cannot wait forever for the goalkeeper to find stability, as football is a results business.
Ten Hag must be courageous enough to drop Onana if necessary, as the Indomitable Lions did at AFCON.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game after fresh injury blow