Manchester United are planning contract talks with rising star Hannibal Mejbri following a string of impressive performances for the club, Fabrizio Romano reports.
The 20-year-old’s current contract with the Red Devils expires at the end of next season, and the club are eager to tie him to an improved long-term deal.
Man United have an option to extend his contract for an additional year, but talks over a new deal are expected to commence soon.
Mejbri has only made three appearances across all competitions this season, starting in two fixtures and netting a goal.
The Tunisia international scored his first goal for Man United in the 3-1 defeat to Brighton & Hove Albion, following it up with another impressive performance in the 1-0 Premier League success over Burnley.
He was also one of the better performers in last night’s 3-0 League Cup third-round victory over Crystal Palace, earning praise from teammate Alejandro Garnacho in the process.
Mejbri’s recent performances have heightened Erik ten Hag’s trust in his ability, and the youngster will be hoping to cement a spot in the manager’s starting XI going forward.
However, realising his ambitions could prove a difficult task, considering the quality of players Ten Hag boasts in his star-studded roster.
Mejbri established himself as a part of Man United’s first team this season following a successful season-long loan spell with Birmingham City last term.
He bagged a goal and five assists in 38 Championship games, although the Midlands club failed to do better than a 17th-place finish in the English second tier.
Mejbri was one of Man United’s highly sought-after gems in the summer transfer window amid reports that Turkish Super Lig giants Besiktas were keen on landing his signature on a season-long loan.
Europa League title holders Sevilla are also monitoring the player’s progress at Old Trafford, but Man United want to ward off interest in their rising star with a new deal.
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action
- Picture: Man Utd defender returns to training but Lindelof out & Rashford doubtful
- Rising from the ashes – Manchester United’s spectacular November revival
- ‘An incredible, good player’: Erik ten Hag on Marcus Rashford ahead of Bournemouth game
- Borussia Dortmund want €30 million or Jadon Sancho as Manchester United eye Donyell Malen, talks scheduled for today
- Erik ten Hag turns down Manchester United players’ request for more days off after complaints over workload and scheduling