Manchester United could make Scottish midfielder Scott McTominay available when the January transfer window rolls around, the Evening Standard reports.
The 26-year-old was heavily linked with an exit from the Theatre of Dreams during the summer transfer window, but Man United’s asking price put off several prospective suitors.
West Ham United were especially keen on the Scotland international defensive midfielder at the behest of manager David Moyes, who is a huge fan of his compatriot.
Fulham also launched a move to try and sign McTominay on deadline day, but a move never materialised, forcing the Scotsman to remain at Old Trafford this summer.
Man United have slapped an emphatic £45 million asking price on their academy graduate, who could yet get his anticipated exit in the January transfer window.
Having progressed through the youth ranks at Carrington, McTominay got his big break in the Man United first team in 2017 and went on to make 13 Premier League appearances over the campaign.
He has since made over 200 appearances for the Red Devils, contributing 19 goals and five assists. He is capable of featuring in several midfield roles.
However, the Scotsman has fallen down the pecking order at Old Trafford, especially following the long-anticipated arrival of Sofyan Amrabat.
The ex-Fiorentina man had been on Man United’s radar since his exceptional performances for Morocco in the 2022 World Cup tournament in Qatar.
After months of transfer speculation, the Red Devils finally landed his signature on a season-long loan with a €20m purchase option that could potentially rise to €25m in performance-related bonuses.
As if competing with Casemiro and Christian Eriksen wasn’t enough, McTominay now has to fend off competition from Amrabat, who has been touted as the missing piece to Man United’s midfield puzzle.
With McTominay now behind the aforementioned midfielders, as well as Mason Mount, the Scotsman could be better off pursuing a career away from Old Trafford in January.
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return
- Erik ten Hag reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s breakthrough at Man Utd
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund returns