Manchester United legend Gary Neville has said he is ‘worried’ after recent reports suggested his former club plans to renew the contracts of Raphael Varane and Victor Lindelof.
Neville wants United to let go of the two defenders and ‘start afresh as much as possible’.
With Sir Jim Ratcliffe close to completing his 25% stake buyout, fans are expecting some major changes in the club’s transfer policy.
That would include offloading the players on massive wages and those who are underperforming. However, it looks like the supporters are not going to see some big changes soon.
The Athletic’s David Ornstein recently reported that the club have decided to activate the one-year extension option in Lindelof’s contract.
The Sweden international’s deal is set to run out next summer but the Red Devils plan to extend his stay at Old Trafford.
United are also interested in retaining the services of Varane whose contract is set to expire at the end of the campaign.
However, the English giants want to renegotiate financial terms with the Frenchman as they believe he is not worth his current £340,000-a-week wages.
Should United let go of Lindelof and Varane?
Lindelof has played an important role for Manchester United this season.
The 29-year-old has played as a central defender and at left-back and has done reasonably well in those roles.
He has featured in 12 Premier League games this term, with a goal and an assist to his name.
And while he doesn’t have the quality to be a regular starter, he can be a good defensive option for manager Erik ten Hag.
Lindelof is not on massive wages and keeping him will not be a big financial burden for them.
By contrast, United should definitely let Varane go if he doesn’t agree to a pay cut.
The Frenchman is a top-quality defender, but he has now reached the age of 30 and tends to get injured often.
His current salary is hard to justify given he has only started seven league matches this season.
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game after fresh injury blow