Manchester United have been linked with a shock move for Germany international striker Timo Werner, who is unsettled at RB Leipzig.
Sky reporter Florian Plettenberg reports that the Red Devils are interested in the former Chelsea striker and have made initial inquiries regarding his availability.
Werner is unhappy about his situation at the Red Bull Arena, having struggled to nail down regular playing time since returning to Leipzig in the summer of 2022.
The abundance of talent Leipzig boasts, especially in the forward areas, has forced their all-time top scorer to settle for a place on the bench.
The 27-year-old and his representatives are in search of greener pastures, opening the door to a potential departure in January.
However, even though Werner is getting itchy from warming the bench, a summer move has been touted as the more plausible option, with the player not exactly keen on a mid-season exit.
Werner has featured in 13 games across all competitions for Leipzig this season, returning just two goals and an assist, although the bulk of his first team minutes have seen him utilised as an impact substitute.
Man United unlikely to pursue Werner’s signature
Erik ten Hag’s side are in desperate need of attacking reinforcements, considering their current front line has struggled to deliver the goods consistently.
Marcus Rashford is yet to rediscover his imperious goalscoring form, although he smashed home a penalty in the 3-0 win over Everton, while Rasmus Hojlund is yet to open his Premier League account.
Anthony Martial has repeatedly proven that he isn’t a reliable centre-forward while Antony continues to crumble under the weight of his mind-boggling price tag.
Despite their attacking dilemma, Werner has done nothing to prove he is the answer to Man United’s goalscoring problems.
If his forgettable spell at Chelsea isn’t enough proof that his prolific days may already be behind him, his struggles at a club where he is considered a legend should be enough to deter Man United.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Gleison Bremer shows why Man Utd want to sign him this summer
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow