Manchester United have been handed a massive injury boost with Lisandro Martinez returning to training while on international duty with Argentina.
The 25-year-old was forced off the pitch in the second half of the Red Devils’ 3-1 Premier League defeat to Arsenal earlier this month.
Man United manager Erik ten Hag later confirmed that Martinez sustained a foot problem – the second time this season he had to be substituted due to injury since fracturing his metatarsal in April.
The combative centre-half subsequently sat out Argentina’s 1-0 victory over Ecuador in the CONMEBOL World Cup qualifiers last Friday, sparking concerns that he had suffered a long-term problem.
However, Man United and the Argentine national team will be relieved to see Martinez return to training with the World Cup title holders ahead of tonight’s qualifier against Bolivia.
Martinez appears to have fully recovered after hinting at a potential return in tonight’s fixture with an Instagram post of himself alongside Cristian Romero and Nahuel Molina on the training pitch.
His recovery will come as a boost for Argentina but even more so for Man United, who cannot afford any more injuries to an already depleted defensive line-up.
Ten Hag’s side are already missing the experienced Raphael Varane, while left-back duo Luke Shaw and Tyrell Malacia are nursing long-term injuries in the treatment room.
The Red Devils had to see out the final stages of the defeat to Arsenal with a centre-back combination of Harry Maguire and Jonny Evans, which does not inspire confidence.
If Martinez plays a part in Argentina’s clash against Bolivia, he could be in line to feature for Man United when they take on Brighton & Hove Albion this weekend.
Ten Hag’s side will be determined to improve their Premier League standing as they sit in 11th place, having picked up just six points from their opening four games.
- 3 goals in last 4 meetings – Man Utd must be wary of Wilfried Zaha threat on Tuesday
- Barcelona manager Xavi picks Marcus Rashford as one of the most difficult players to stop
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return