Manchester United have been handed a major injury boost ahead of tomorrow’s fixture against Crystal Palace with Mason Mount stepping up his recovery from a hamstring problem.
The Daily Mail reports that the England international is close to regaining full fitness and could mark his return to action in Tuesday’s clash against Palace.
Man United begin their League Cup title defence with a midweek encounter against the Eagles at Old Trafford in what is set to be a tricky tie for the faltering Red Devils.
Mount’s potential return could be a major boost for Ten Hag, whose side has been riddled with injuries or suspensions since the start of the season.
Since completing his £60 million move from Chelsea, Mount has only managed two Premier League appearances for Man United after featuring against Wolverhampton Wanderers and Tottenham Hotspur.
The 24-year-old picked up the hamstring problem in the 2-0 defeat to Spurs and has not kicked a ball for Ten Hag’s side since but is reportedly closing in on match fitness.
After the injury problems Man United have faced this season, Ten Hag could do with some good news on that front.
It also helps that Harry Maguire will be in contention for a place in the starting line-up after returning to training following an injury scare.
Maguire had missed Man United’s last two games but is now back in training with the first-team squad and could make an appearance tomorrow night.
With Lisandro Martinez also sidelined, Maguire’s absence forced Ten Hag to hand Jonny Evans his first start of the season in the 1-0 victory over Burnley over the weekend.
The 35-year-old put in a solid shift to help Ten Hag’s side earn a morale-boosting win while keeping a clean sheet, but they did not leave Turf Moor unscathed with Sergio Reguilon joining the extensive injury list.
With all three left-back options now sidelined, it’s anyone’s guess who would assume the role on Tuesday, but Maguire’s return provides Ten Hag with an experienced option in the heart of his defence.
- Newcastle 1-0 Manchester United: Player ratings as awful displays from Rashford and Martial put pressure on Ten Hag
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, 4 changes
- ‘He has to play’: Erik ten Hag confirms Man Utd midfielder could leave in January
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, Mainoo returns
- Serhou Guirassy flattered by Man Utd interest
- Erik ten Hag confirms Mason Mount will return to training today
- Stats show the real culprits in Manchester United’s dismal performances this season
- Man Utd very interested in signing Antonio Silva, attentive to his performances
- Man Utd showing interest in signing Serhou Guirassy
- Man Utd in very advanced talks to sign Genoa star Radu Dragusin