Manchester United’s proud history and heritage are passed on from player to player, fan to fan, family to family. And no.7 jersey is very special to the Old Trafford faithful.
The famous number – now a thing of horrors – has been worn by some of the best players to ever play for the club. Legends like Georgie Best, Eric Cantona, David Beckham, and Cristiano Ronaldo have donned it.
The effect of the jersey has waned in the present times. Its recent owners have not been a huge success at the club. Players such as Michael Owen, Antonio Valencia, Memphis Depay, Angel Di Maria and more recently Alexis Sanchez have worn the jersey.
The current purveyor of these dreams is Edinson Cavani.
The experienced striker joined Man United on a free transfer this summer. He joins on a one-year deal with an option to extend a year further. His arrival has brought good vibes back at the club, with his first week being described as very positive.
Even though Cavani has the shirt now, Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer continues to dream of Borussia Dortmund winger Jadon Sancho wearing the famous jersey.
According to The Athletic, Jadon Sancho will continue to be uppermost in Solskjaer’s mind, even if Cavani now has the shirt originally bracketed for the England international.
Sources say an informal code name among those trying to strike a deal for Borussia Dortmund forward Sancho was “Project No 7”.
Man United failed in their pursuit to strike up a deal for Jadon Sancho with Borussia Dortmund. The German club continued to remain inflexible about their price tag and deadline day. United, not ready ready to lose hope continued to push on for a successful move till the last day of the transfer market.
United still feel Dortmund were inconsiderate about the price tag. United felt that a transfer costing approximately £108 million was simply not possible in a window marred by financial disasters due to the COVID pandemic.
Although, this time United will not have a clear run at the English hotshot.
United will have to pull all of the stops to bring him to Old Trafford next summer. The magic of the famous Jersey No. 7 depends on it.
- Man Utd have excellent chance to sign West Ham star Declan Rice next summer
- Why Man Utd star should replace Spurs defender in Argentina starting XI
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer ready for return after re-watching his 168 games in charge of Man Utd
- Chelsea attacker Christian Pulisic is destined for Man Utd move
- Liverpool join Man Utd in race to sign Cody Gakpo in January
- Man Utd sale could be completed before end of season
- Real Madrid linked with shock move for Man Utd star Bruno Fernandes
- Man Utd star Raphael Varane leads France in dramatic game against Tunisia at the World Cup
- ‘I think he’s turned it around’ – Paul Scholes names Marcus Rashford as stand out player so far at Manchester United
- ‘It’s quite an easy question’ – Former Manchester United midfielder names Casemiro as his ideal partner