Manchester United are not expected to sign a replacement for Anthony Martial this month after he picked up a long-term injury, the Daily Mail reports.
The France international has been ruled out for ten weeks after undergoing groin surgery, which leaves Erik ten Hag severely depleted in the attacking department.
The 28-year-old is expected to be sidelined until the start of April, although the former AS Monaco star is not expected to play for United for the remainder of the season.
Martial’s long-term injury leaves Rasmus Hojlund as Ten Hag’s solitary option at centre-forward, although Marcus Rashford can deputise when required.
The Frenchman is expected to leave United when his contract runs out next summer.
He has endured yet another disappointing campaign for United, returning a meagre two goals and two assists in 19 appearances in all competitions.
Martial is one of the highest earners on United’s books, taking home a reported £250,000 a week, but his nine-year spell at Old Trafford will end at the end of the season.
Despite the Frenchman’s absence, United are unlikely to make any foray into the winter market in terms of signing a replacement to bolster Ten Hag’s attacking options.
United have been linked with a move for wantaway Saudi Arabia star Karim Benzema but have rejected the chance to snap him up over his ridiculous wage demands.
The Ballon d’Or holder has shut down rumours suggesting he is desperate for a January exit from the Middle East but continues to be linked to the Premier League.
Benzema earns a reported £86 million a year at Al-Ittihad, which will pose a significant problem for any European club, and the striker appears unwilling to accept a mammoth pay cut to force a move.
United have also been linked with a move for Bayern Munich striker Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting and Ajax ace Brian Brobbey.
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game after fresh injury blow