The transfer window might have shut just over 24 hours ago but Louis Van Gaal and Manchester United are already plotting their January business, according to reports that claim the United manager is not done spending yet.
United spent a combined £150.1m this summer, breaking the British transfer record with the £59.7m they spent for Angel Di Maria, who followed the likes of Ander Herrera, Luke Shaw and Marcos Rojo at Old Trafford, before Daley Blind and Radamel Falcao joined on deadline day.
It was a much needed revolution, but one which, according to the Guardian, might have only been the first step in Van Gaal’s plans.
The Dutchman is still keen to secure a world class midfielder and a top centre-back and he’s expected to try and lure AS Roma midfielder Kevin Strootman to Old Trafford in January, providing that he recovers from a serious knee injury he suffered in March, which ruled him out of the World Cup.
Van Gaal has coached Strootman for Holland and could offer up to £30m for a player he considered indispensable for his national side, the sort of box-to-box United have been sorely lacking over the past couple of seasons and will continue do without after opting against pursuing Arturo Vidal.
“He is of interest to Louis van Gaal but not related to Manchester United at this point,” Strootman’s agent Chiel Dekker said of his client in June.
The United manager could also consider another move for Borussia Dortmund defender Mats Hummels, though the report suggests the German international might be United’s number one priority next summer, as it’s unlikely he’d agreed to swapping club mid-season, particularly as he was named club captain by Jurgen Klopp.
- Man Utd decide against permanent deals for Wout Weghorst and Marcel Sabitzer
- ‘World-class’ Bruno Fernandes should get captaincy next season without question
- Porto star Diogo Costa wanted by Man Utd, ready to trigger his release clause
- Bruno Fernandes heaps praise on Goncalo Ramos, talks up move to Manchester United
- Feyenoord lining up fresh proposal for Man Utd starlet Amad Diallo
- Man Utd readying big-money offer for Goncalo Ramos but Roger Schmidt hopes to keep him
- Manchester United in 2023/24 – Expectations, Predictions and Betting odds
- Erik ten Hag opens up on striker plans, David de Gea & Harry Maguire
- Marcus Rashford wins two major end-of-season awards for Manchester United
- Manchester United eliminate club crest from third kit for the 2023/24 season