Manchester United defender Luke Shaw delivered an impressive performance during the club’s goalless Premier League draw against Southampton on Sunday.
The Red Devils started as favourites to pick up three points, but the complexion of the game changed after Casemiro was sent off in the 34th minute.
United still managed to create chances on goal. Bruno Fernandes hit the woodwork while the Red Devils were denied two potential penalties in either half.
Despite the stalemate, there were some positives to carry forward. David de Gea was back to his best in goal after a couple of tough outings. He made two crucial saves.
Meanwhile, the defence also stood up to the occasion. Shaw was impressive from left-back.
The England star had 81 touches of the ball against the Saints. He won four tackles, seven duels while providing four key passes for his teammates in the final third.
Shaw also completed 100% of his long balls and dribbles with three successful crosses.
The 27-year-old had a difficult outing at Anfield last weekend. He was regularly overlapped by Mohamed Salah while his positioning and decision-making was average.
He redeemed himself in the midweek win over Real Betis in the Europa League and put in another top display against the Saints. He was almost flawless over 90 minutes.
United will be back in action against Betis on Thursday evening. They will travel to Seville for the second leg of their Europa League round of 16 tie with a 4-1 advantage.
Erik ten Hag has the option to rest some of his regular starters including Shaw in midweek. However, we won’t be surprised if the Dutchman picks his strongest line-up again.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and Sofascore.com
- Man Utd defender Luke Shaw agrees fresh four-year contract
- Sheikh Jassim believes new Owners’ and Directors’ Test will not affect his Man United takeover
- Erik ten Hag to make decision on futures of Scott McTominay and Victor Lindelof
- Manchester United’s debt rises to almost £1 billion
- Erik ten Hag wants Andre Onana to provide competition to David de Gea next season
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd goalkeeper Tom Heaton confirms he is out for a few weeks with an ankle injury
- Man Utd could lose Alejandro Garnacho to international duty in late May
- Bruno Fernandes wins Manchester United’s Player of the Month award for March
- Changes made to Owners’ and Directors’ Test could affect Man United takeover