Manchester United full-backs Luke Shaw and Diogo Dalot were hugely disappointing during the shock 7-0 Premier League defeat to Liverpool on Sunday evening.
The Red Devils went into the game with a lot of optimism and they had a good opening half before Cody Gakpo’s late strike for Liverpool before the interval.
Dalot was partly at fault for the opening goal after being caught out of position but Shaw was equally to blame, having kept Gakpo onside with his poor positioning.
Shortly after the break, Shaw gave away possession and it proved very costly as Darwin Nunez doubled Liverpool’s lead. Dalot played Mohamed Salah onside in the lead-up.
Both Shaw and Dalot continued to struggle over 90 minutes and it was definitely a day to forget for the full-back pairing, who have had excellent seasons thus far.
The duo lost possession on an astonishing 34 occasions. They were overrun by Salah and Gakpo respectively and had no answers after United went behind.
Aside from Lisandro Martinez’s first-half display, there were not any positives from the humiliation and Erik ten Hag should have stern words with his players tonight.
United return to action against Real Betis in the first leg of the Europa League last 16 on Thursday.
It won’t surprise us if a number of players from today’s starting line-up are dropped. Dalot and Shaw should face the axe but the same could be said for several others.
Bruno Fernandes looked a shadow of himself during the second half as United were leaking goals. He was spotted asking to be substituted when they were trailing 5-0.
Hopefully, the embarrassing display at Anfield does not derail United’s season. Ten Hag will want nothing less than a victory when Betis travel to Old Trafford in midweek.
Stats from Sofascore.com
- Elliott Investment Management submits offer for Man United minority stake
- Man Utd continuing attempts to agree new contracts with De Gea and Rashford
- Man Utd and Chelsea vying to sign Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana
- With Paul Mitchell set to leave Monaco, Man Utd must beat Liverpool and sign him
- Cristiano Ronaldo opens up on his controversial Manchester United exit for the first time
- Tottenham Hotspur’s interest in Man United goalkeeper Dean Henderson could open talks for Harry Kane deal
- Manchester United in advanced talks to sign Watford left-back Harry Amass
- Man Utd star Christian Eriksen provides huge injury update on Instagram
- Behind only Arsenal, Man Utd have been fined six-figure sum for referee abuse
- Man Utd target Diogo Costa could be sold as Porto require €50m to balance their books