French Ligue 1 club Lorient have reached an agreement with Manchester United to sign midfielder Donny van de Beek on loan, according to Foot Mercato.
The Netherlands international has been fancied to leave the Red Devils for several weeks, and he could head for the exit door before Friday’s transfer deadline.
Lorient have now agreed a loan deal in principle for the 26-year-old, but the midfielder has yet to give the green light. He is ‘handling’ several offers to leave United.
Foot Mercato claim that the Dutchman is eyeing a move to a ‘more ambitious club’, but the decision has to be quick with the transfer window closing very soon.
Van de Beek set to depart with replacement identified
Van de Beek has had a frustrating three-year spell with United. He has made only 60 appearances in all competitions, contributing two goals and two assists.
A lot more was expected from the Dutchman after his £35 million move from Ajax. He was a wonderful box-to-box midfielder in Amsterdam, but has failed to replicate those performances.
It is now clear that manager Erik ten Hag has deemed him surplus to requirements. The best solution would be for him to depart the club on loan before the transfer window shuts.
Lorient, who finished 10th in Ligue 1 last term, have made an approach, but Van de Beek could be eyeing a better proposal. In our view, he will most likely leave by Friday’s deadline.
Meanwhile, United are already in the process of replacing him with a loan deal for Fiorentina’s Sofyan Amrabat. The Moroccan has been linked with the club since the end of June.
The club would have preferred a permanent transfer but can’t afford it due to Financial Fair Play concerns. Hopefully, they can persuade Fiorentina to accept a buy option for next summer.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- ‘If you are good enough, you are old enough’: Erik ten Hag says Kobbie Mainoo is ready to face Galatasaray
- Valencia and Real Sociedad eyeing potential summer move for Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause
- Preview: Galatasaray vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Sofyan Amrabat’s future at United no longer obvious with Kobbie Mainoo’s emergence
- Man United interested in Leipzig striker Timo Werner
- Stats show Harry Maguire has fared better than Arsenal star William Saliba in defensive actions