Sporting star Joao Mario’s father has confirmed the midfielder has received an offer from Premier League club Liverpool.
The 23-year-old was a part of the Portugal squad that defeated France 1-0 in the extra time of the Euro 2016 final to win the European championship. He was impressive for his national side in the recently concluded tournament hosted by France.
The Portuguese international has been linked with a move away from his current employers and was attracting interest from the top flight clubs in England. According to The Sun, Manchester United and their rivals Chelsea were looking at the option of signing him, along with Serie A outfit Inter Milan.
Mario was not spotted in his side’s recent friendly defeat to Lyon. That sparked rumours of him leaving Sporting in the summer transfer window. His father has now confirmed Jurgen Klopp’s side tabled a €40 million, which has been rejected by the Portuguese club.
“Proposals for the lad don’t come directly to me,” Mario’s father said, as quoted by Football Italia.
“They go to his agent, Kia Joorabchian, and the Sporting President. I was informed, however, that the club said no to €35m plus €10m in bonuses from Inter and to €40m from Liverpool. Nothing particular has happened, my son is a professional and knows he has a contract with Sporting.”
“At the same time, we’re talking about a very valuable player for the club, who would aspire to bigger projects in the course of his career.”
- Ralf Rangnick confirms two Man Utd starters vs West Ham United
- Manchester United vs West Ham United: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Barcelona attacker Ousmane Dembele tempted by Man Utd move
- Will Jesse Lingard move to Newcastle or Tottenham this transfer window?
- Man Utd cool down interest in Denis Zakaria
- Man Utd may not approve Ralf Rangnick’s wish to sign Amadou Haidara
- Juventus in direct contact with Man Utd over Anthony Martial loan deal
- Man Utd receive Martial-Dembele swap proposal from Barcelona
- Predicted Man Utd line-up (4-2-3-1) vs Brentford
- Ralf Rangnick provides injury update on three Man Utd stars