Manchester United finds Lille centre-back Leny Yoro ‘very exciting’, but they are unwilling to meet the demands of the Ligue 1 club, according to SPORT1 journalist Christopher Michel.
Lille want the Red Devils and other suitors to part with almost €90 million to have a chance of recruiting the services of the Frenchman this month, while they want up to €60m in the summer.
Man United are looking to bolster their defensive options and have been linked with Everton centre-back Jarrad Branthwaite too, watching him against Aston Villa on Sunday.
However, they may need to wait until summer to get the England youth international and have been keen on doing a deal for Yoro during the January transfer window, opening initial talks last month.
The 6ft 3in France youth international clocked 18 last November but has already established himself as a first-team player this term, with 20 games across all competitions under his belt after he played 15 times last term.
Lille clearly are unwilling to let him go right now and are desperate to hand him a contract extension, with his current deal expiring in 2025.
The Red Devils will not be spending €90m on a teenage centre-back right now, and it is highly unlikely they would agree to part with €60m in the summer.
They are expected to make a much-needed squad overhaul at the back this summer, with Raphael Varane and Jonny Evans in the last five months of their contract, while Harry Maguire and Lisandro Martinez have struggled with injuries in recent months.
Yoro fits the profile of a player capable of becoming a Man United star, but he is unproven in the Premier League and splashing the cash on him is a huge gamble – one Sir Jim Ratcliffe may be unwilling to take given how recent transfers at the club have gone.
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game after fresh injury blow