Let’s all laugh at Liverpool

I don’t indulge in schadenfreude, but I’ll make an exception. I had a long day outdoors, getting stuff fixed etc., so imagine my horror when I discovered what I’d missed in the day’s Champions League action. I surely didn’t feel I deserved to miss the occasion as it happened.

So, to make up for my loss, I thought let’s have a dedicated thread in revelling in someone else’s misfortune.

I sincerely hope, they keep Rafa at ‘pool but in the meantime the official Liverpool end of season celebration party has begun in earnest — have a look. [Click on Screenshot below or visit website here]:

Liverpool Season party

[Website chanced upon via Adrian Russell‘s twitter stream]

25 November 2009 at 15:24

@Beachryan: 1. Spin. We may have to rely on him at some point in the season so we need to keep his hopes up. If he goes to the world cup we’ll get more money for him. I can see us buying Akinfeev since he played well against us, a Fergie favourite trait.

2. He should! I heard a rumour that we save a whole bunch of money if he doesn’t play in the first team till after January in the league.

3. All of those will start tonight. Rafael and Gibson have been injured. Welbeck has been away with England U19’s and then came back with a knock. I think Macheda has been with the Italy U19’s also.

4. We should have put a new full time captain in when we found out GNEV was out for a year, and it should have been Rio.

5. Nani is gone regardless of Ljajic. We’ll hold on to him until after the World Cup and hope to increase his price.

6. It’s a strange one. It was irritating to see Scholes come off the bench against Everton instead of someone like Anderson or Gibson.

7. Owen free ; Scored the winner against Citeh. Tevez Β£47million ; Scored 5 goals in the prem last season.

8. I saw him kicking a ball about on Sky Sports News earlier this morning. Fergie says his knees are fine and it’s a confidence thing. I can only imagine the fear of a crunching Scholes tackle after over year out with bad knees. It’d mess with your head. I’d expect him to make a cameo from the bench on the 15th of December at home to Wolves.

25 November 2009 at 16:43

3. Jay wire

25 November 2009 at 17:00

@Beachryan: We care about Michael Owen’s movement because they put him in goal scoring positions from which he scores. That question is like asking why we care about Van Der sar’s positioning as a goalkeeper when all that matters is his saves. He can’t pull those saves without getting into the right positions.

4. gator

25 November 2009 at 17:48

@Merlinus: wow thats funny 😎

5. gator

25 November 2009 at 17:51

@[OPTI]Madschester United: ha rafa treble :mrgreen:

6. Gabriel

25 November 2009 at 17:56

Anyone seen this?

The kid nails the impressions.. shuld get signed up by espn or sky to do sum kinda post match rant parody :mrgreen: πŸ˜† now that would be funny πŸ˜€

7. radzio

25 November 2009 at 18:02

If you can’t watch United game on tv you can try Manchester United vs. Besiktas – live streams.

8. gator

25 November 2009 at 18:02

witch kids will get the start today?

i want more Macheda for sure and we need to blood someone in the back 4 other than evans so the logical choice is delat and im sure we will see welly on a wing.

9. [OPTI]Madschester United

25 November 2009 at 18:05

@Gabriel: his Mourinho impression was hilarious – swine flu and pigs! THe others were spot on.

Any result predictions?

2-1 – Gibson, Owen, some turkish player.

10. Gabriel

25 November 2009 at 18:06

Btw, anyone up for predicting our lineup for tonight?! I reckon we play a 4-4-2, although fergie might still opt for his rubbish 4-5-1 πŸ™„ . Ok, here goes:

Foster
    Rafael-Brown-Vida-Evra
    Nani-Gibbo-Ando-Obertan
    Macheda-Welbeck

Subs: KZK, Neville, Scholes, Fletch, Park, Berba, Owen

Give Rooney, Giggs and Cazza a rest. Bring on Berba and Park for some needed match fitness/sharpness and maybe Owen just to see if he can grab a goal late on. Besides, I would like to see how well Macheda and Welbeck relate on the pitch. I feel they will compliment each other quite well. Plus, Obertan starting a game; will be good to see if he actually has any end product and Nani too; get some confidence back in that portugeezer. πŸ˜€

25 November 2009 at 18:08

@Gabriel: Yeah, saw that yesterday, and I LMFAO, as they say!
    πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
    Makes me miss Special 1 TV even more…

25 November 2009 at 18:11

@Beachryan: What bugs me is that when I was a kid in the 70’s I quite liked Liverpool even though my two teams of choice were United and Spurs. I was a kid living in Canada, I didn’t know the history or that the rivalry was as heated and as bitter. I never thought it could exceed the rivalry between Boston and New York or Edmonto vs Calgary for that matter. Although I wasn’t a massive fan I kind of liked Kevin Keegan (I liked him a whole lot more when he went to Hamburg) and I liked players like Heighway and Dalglish. Back then I didn’t know what a Scouser was or that everyone who grew up in that stink pit other than the Beatles was destined to either be an idiot or a criminal or both.

Well times change and people grow up and get more educated about things and about people and places in far away lands. These days I argue with locals when I see them wearing Liverpool shirts. I ask them why they have such bad taste. I was working a sports collectibles show once and a guy comes up wearing a Liverpool shirt. I went on to tell him in a joking manner that not only did he have bad taste in teams, but because supported them, he was on the national list for people with bad taste. He then told me he was from Liverpool where my response to him was that I’m surprised he hadn’t been deported yet. Fortunately he had a sense of humor about him and wasn’t a total Scouser pratt but the reality is, I kind of meant everything I said to him. That’s how bad the worm has turned in my stomach. I hate everything about Liverpool. I am the biggest Beatles fanatic ever and these days I mention their name in conversation and follow it up with “To bad they were Fucking Scousers”.

I’m not from England and I haven’t been to Liverpool or Manchester for that matter but the fire is inside me and the hatred for LIverpool exists. It’s not from immaturity or from just wanting to be one of the guys or jumping on the bandwagon. You watch the game in England as much as I have since 1992 and you start learning things and picking out things about teams and why you should like them or hate them. Over the years I have learned just how sad and pathetic Liverpool as a team is but just what kind of rabble and scum their supporters are. Heysel taught me that and then enough matches between them and United taught me even more. Then came the arrival of one Rafa the Waiter. Rarely has their been a character that I have taken such a dislike to even though I never met the man. His face, his body english (or should I say Spanish), his attitude, his incapability of smiling or showing emotion, all of these things just get on my nerves. Then last year he crossed the line with his comments about United and Fergie. FACT, I hate the MOFO more than Drogba and Terry. FACT, I hope he gets the sack even if improves Liverpool’s fortunes because i’d like to see even less of him on tv. FACT, if he and I bumped in to each other on the street, he’d get a solid elbow in the chops and then a solid kick in the groin. The man is scum and he is bad for football. He has turned the game into a boring chess match with his tactics and has been the frontrunner in turning the game into a volleyball game with his constant rotating. All this has added to my already great hatred for Liverpool. Other than Keegan, the only men i have ever liked or respected who have played or managed for that team are Gerard Houlier (a true gentleman) and Michael Owen who I have always liked to be honest.

I have many big dreams and goals for United to achieve but the other big dream I have is to one day see Liverpool relegated like Newcastle did last season. One can hope and dream and meanwhile, always pray that it never happens to us. Under the Glazer’s anything is possible.

13. Gabriel

25 November 2009 at 18:12

@[OPTI]Madschester United: πŸ˜† πŸ˜† got mourinho’s swagger too; the loose tie and untucked shirt πŸ˜›

Don’t wanna jinx it by predicting, but as Besiktas seem to be in a rich vein of form, Fergie will instruct our players to keep it tight at first, in anticipation of their confident attacking play. The game will definitely be lively, no doubt, probably more in the second half. I say 3-1 to United.(fingers crossed) 😈

25 November 2009 at 18:17

@Nafooy: Unfortunately I saw this coming and the evidence is not only in Vidic’s poor form but also in the fact United have been linked with Rodwell and Kjaer. Why would we be looking for CB’s when we have Vidic and Evans for the future and Rio and Brown for right now? Something had to be up. I would prefer it if it was Rio who was going to leave as his age is showing and he has become more brittle with time. Oh well, if we lose him we lose him. The day I cry over center back will be the day I know it’s time to move on to another sport. Ronaldo I cry over, Vidic, I’m saddened but CB’s are replaceable.

25 November 2009 at 18:18

@Merlinus: I’m licking my chops mate and my appetite is growing. πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

25 November 2009 at 18:18

Apparently Gibson is injured?

Wouldn’t mind seeing the “other” promising CMs, James and Eikrem at this level… Even a 20 min run out would be good.

25 November 2009 at 18:19

@owen: Remember, where ever I am, there I’ll be. πŸ˜€

25 November 2009 at 18:20

@[OPTI]Madschester United: How quickly we forget that this sad bunch of clowns has beaten us three straight times. If I was you, I’d be hanging my head in shame that we were so poor as to lose to those muppets.

25 November 2009 at 18:26

@Beachryan: Great post. Hargreaves for me is gone. I love the lad but at this point in time there is no such thing as rushing him. If he is going to be treated like fragile glass and his knees are not properly tested, then lets just forget we ever had him and move on.

As for Ferguson’s comments on our goalkeepers, he is basically trying to deflect heat again hoping that it gives both Foster and Pig confidence to fight on. Only a manager with no money and no future would settle for both of those two and not go out for either of the German aces or even Akinfeev. Fergie cannot be that fucking stupid……can he? Also, he may know about EVDS future. Perhaps the old goat is coming back for one more year.

And yes, Fletcher should be named captain ASAP.

A little harsh on Michael Owen but I see your point. I still feel Huntelaar would have been perfect for the English game.

20. Gabriel

25 November 2009 at 18:26

@NicoQB: But those CM’s are not registered to play?! I think…

What injury btw? Pre-match warm up or what?! Because Fergie was determined to play Gibson. It has been plastered all over the news πŸ™ Really wanted to see him play; I feel he has that combination of hustle and finesse that would make a decent box-to-box player.

21. [OPTI]Madschester United

25 November 2009 at 18:30

@Grognard: Burnley beat us too… does that make us as bad as burnley or burnley as good as us?? We have lost three times in a 18 months to Liverpool (twice at Anfield) but we still made through our CL group and to last year’s CL final and won the league too. Liverpool over-achieve against us recently (or we under-achieve).

I am not ashamed of losing a game once in while — I would be ashamed losing half of the season’s games (i.e. Liverpool)

Liverpool are one or two bad games away from being in serious trouble with respect to next season and Benitez’s job security.

I am enjoying the demise of Liverpool — Spurs or City can fill their 4th spot as much as they want. πŸ˜†

25 November 2009 at 18:32

@Traverse: Tackles are not the problem with that kind of injury. It’s not like he had damaged ligaments or cartilage or even bone breaks. It was a tendon problem. Having had tendonitis before the problem is that you are afraid to put your full weight and flex on those knees for fear the tendons won’t hold. No tackle is going to hurt them. It’s like hamstring injuries. You are tentative for fear of pulling or tearing it even more.

25 November 2009 at 18:33

@Jay wire: I’d add to that the fact that Owen’s movement has been very good but the service to him has been bad. Gerd Muller and Pele had that kind of movement but would they fare any better under the current circumstances?

25 November 2009 at 18:38

@Gabriel: The kid has talent. He looks like Wenger but he really nailed Rafa well.

25. Jay wire

25 November 2009 at 18:43

@Grognard: His movement is a breath of fresh air in my opinion. I’ve seen too much of robotic movements in our team so I GREATLY appreciate it. Muller and Pele would not do any better. And I wish Rooney would quit constantly invading the midfield.

26. Gabriel

25 November 2009 at 18:46

@Grognard: the ‘Kwality’ and ‘I don’t know what i’m talking about’ lines had me in stitches πŸ˜† … seriously, this kid needs to be on tv!! Would be better than watching and listening to the mind-numbing drivel the stations call post match analysis. πŸ™„ πŸ˜›

25 November 2009 at 18:54

@[OPTI]Madschester United: Last year’s title stunk in my eyes for three reasons. We lost to Liverpool twice, they had fewer losses than us and we had a sub 500 record against the other big three teams. Sure we were champions and I will take that over reversing the other three things and us not winning the title, but it still rubs me wrong. Good teams will occasionally lose to a poor team or a minnow but when you lose three straight to a team that is supposedly inferior to yours, then there is something radically wrong not only with our squad but mostly with our manager and his negative and predictable tactics. Rafa has caught on and figured him out. How insulting is that?

25 November 2009 at 19:02

@Jay wire: Agreed. Honestly, if Owen were playing for Barcelona he’s have a dozen goals by now in the same amount of minutes played. I may not be a fan of Xavi or Iniesta and I may not consider them up their with Ronaldo or Messi but they are elite midfielders and a Hell of a lot better than anything we have creatively speaking. I’ve said it a hundred times already but if you give the lad proper service, he will score. Sure he will miss some but the trick is to get hi more than one half chance in a game.

As for Rooney, I’m afraid he is a write-off until Fergie is gone. Fergie’s tactics and over use of the lad are the leading contributors to his problems. Yes he hangs around the midfield and the flanks far too much for my liking but he doesn’t do it with Capello because he fears Capello. He has nothing to fear with Fergie and in fact, his playing style is encouraged by the Gaffer.

25 November 2009 at 19:06

@Gabriel: I agree. We lost the Special One and It on Setanta and so a new act would be most appreciated. Have the lad come on every week dressed and made up to look like the person he is impersonating and I think it would be a fun show. A Post game interviews with the managers and players kind of thing.

30. Andrei

25 November 2009 at 19:13

@Gabriel: LOL

25 November 2009 at 19:18

Preview post is up. All Champs league match discussion — pre-match, post-match, during match discussions — there.

Cheers. πŸ™‚

25 November 2009 at 19:57

@Grognard: Trust me, he is worried of someone clattering into him / him clattering into anyone else. Once he goes through that first big tackle he’ll be fine. He’s done all the running in the world, and that’s what’d cause him problems. Either way it’s all in his head.