Manchester United wonderkid Kobbie Mainoo produced a fine performance for the Under 21s during their group stage clash against Salford in the EFL trophy last night.
The 18-year-old was hugely impressive in the early part of pre-season for the Red Devils but he unfortunately picked up a freak knee injury against Real Madrid.
As a result, he has yet to make an appearance for the club this term and he may not be far away after playing 90 minutes for the Under 21s at the Peninsula Stadium.
The club were on the losing side of a 4-3 defeat to the League Two outfit but Mainoo was one of those who stood out with an impressive showing in the final third.
Mainoo started in the number 10 position for the Under 21s. He registered two assists on the night with passing accuracy of 89 per cent. The youngster managed four successful long balls.
Elsewhere, he won 100 per cent of his dribbles (2/2) alongside two ground duels. In our view, Mainoo looks up to full match sharpness and should break into Erik ten Hag’s plans.
The Dutchman showed his faith on the youngster by starting him in midfield against Arsenal in pre-season. He stood out with two assists, completing 96 per cent of his passes.
He was subsequently rewarded with a starting role versus Madrid, but Casemiro’s reckless push on Rodrygo saw the latter fall onto the knee of Mainoo after just two minutes.
Mainoo looks ready to get valuable minutes in the coming games for United and we won’t be surprised if the teenager pushes for a starting berth heading into the New Year.
One thing is for sure, he won’t be in the matchday squad against Newcastle United at Old Trafford tonight, having played the full 90 minutes against Salford just 12 hours earlier.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action
- Picture: Man Utd defender returns to training but Lindelof out & Rashford doubtful
- Rising from the ashes – Manchester United’s spectacular November revival
- ‘An incredible, good player’: Erik ten Hag on Marcus Rashford ahead of Bournemouth game
- Borussia Dortmund want €30 million or Jadon Sancho as Manchester United eye Donyell Malen, talks scheduled for today
- Erik ten Hag turns down Manchester United players’ request for more days off after complaints over workload and scheduling