Manchester United midfielder Kobbie Mainoo produced another strong performance during the club’s 2-0 win over Wigan Athletic in the FA Cup third round.
The Red Devils dominated the proceedings against the Latics at the DW Stadium and Mainoo had a key part to play with a stand-out showing in the centre of the park.
The teenager had an early lapse which contributed to Wigan testing the goalkeeper, but he grew in confidence as the game went on, winning most of his challenges.
Over 90 minutes, Mainoo won an impressive 10 duels alongside a stunning eight tackles. He had 86 touches overall, completing 90 per cent of his passes.
At just 18, the youngster has already established himself as a key figure from the number six role and Casemiro may not easily displace him from the line-up.
The Brazilian is back in partial training after recovering from a hamstring injury, but manager Erik ten Hag has said that he may not return for a few more weeks.
United are scheduled to host Tottenham Hotspur in the Premier League this weekend before a short winter break. They could face Newport County or Eastleigh in the FA Cup fourth round in late January.
Mainoo should start both games from the defensive midfield role and has the opportunity to further cement his position ahead of a busy schedule in February.
From the club’s point of view, they need to focus on beating Spurs at Old Trafford on Sunday to try and close the gap to the Champions League positions to six points.
A defeat or a stalemate won’t help their cause as the nine-point margin could increase if the likes of Arsenal and Manchester City win in the same game week.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game after fresh injury blow