Manchester United wonderkid Kobbie Mainoo delivered another impressive performance during the 1-0 pre-season friendly win over Lyon on Wednesday.
The 18-year-old started in the defensive midfield role against Leeds United last week, and he reclaimed the same position against Les Gones in Edinburgh.
Mainoo showed a lot of maturity in his 45-minute appearance. He had 48 touches of the ball, completing 33 out of his 35 passes – an accuracy of 94 per cent.
The teenager also blocked two shots and made two interceptions, losing possession on just three occasions.
Mainoo has a big season ahead with Man Utd
Mainoo made his debut against Charlton Athletic in the Carabao Cup quarter-final last season. He started in the number 10 role after Bruno Fernandes was suspended.
The youngster was limited to just two more appearances before picking up an injury. We should see more of him in the upcoming season as he is expected to stay with the squad.
United manager Erik ten Hag reportedly ‘trusts his ability’, and Mainoo could get handy minutes off the bench, considering he can play anywhere in midfield.
Mainoo has mostly featured in the number eight role in the youth teams, but Ten Hag has so far played him from the holding and attacking midfield positions.
The teenager has not looked overawed by the challenge presented to him. He looks mature beyond his years, and fans should be excited to watch his breakthrough.
Hannibal Mejbri and Amad Diallo are other youngsters, who will be hoping to break into the manager’s plans by impressing him during the pre-season campaign.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action