English goalkeeper Kie Plumley has announced he has joined Manchester United via his Instagram page.
The 20-year-old was released by Oxford United at the end of last season and has joined the Red Devils as a free agent.
Plumley graduated from Oxford’s academy before signing a professional contract in 2021, but he did not make a senior appearance before his departure.
However, he was named on the bench seven times during his spell with the League One club and gained plenty of experience through loan spells at lower league clubs Weston-super-Mare and Beaconsfield.
Plumley has been registered as one of the eligible under-21 players on Man United’s Premier League squad list and will be looking to force his way into the starting XI of the youth teams.
The Red Devils needed depth in the goalkeeping department after selling Dean Henderson, Nathan Bishop and Matej Kovar, while David de Gea was released.
They have brought in Andre Onana and Altay Bayindir, with Tom Heaton and Radek Vitek still available. Teenager Elyh Harrison has been playing for the U21s this season.
Plumley will be largely playing for the youth squads this term, but he will hope to break into the first team and it will be interesting to see if he can achieve that.
Man United will be without Onana early next year as Cameroon will be playing at the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations between January and February, and the young goalie could make the matchday squad if injuries render those ahead of him unavailable.
Plumley is a boyhood Man United fan and will be keen to prove himself and feature for the first team in an official competition.
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action
- Picture: Man Utd defender returns to training but Lindelof out & Rashford doubtful
- Rising from the ashes – Manchester United’s spectacular November revival
- ‘An incredible, good player’: Erik ten Hag on Marcus Rashford ahead of Bournemouth game
- Borussia Dortmund want €30 million or Jadon Sancho as Manchester United eye Donyell Malen, talks scheduled for today
- Erik ten Hag turns down Manchester United players’ request for more days off after complaints over workload and scheduling