A trio of Manchester United stars will be eager to shine this evening as England face the United States at the World Cup in Qatar.
Luke Shaw, Harry Maguire and Marcus Rashford played key roles against Iran in the opening group game as England ran out 6-2 winners.
Shaw and Maguire both weighed in with assists, while Rashford netted England’s fifth goal shortly after coming off the bench.
The Three Lions had little difficulty swatting Iran aside on Monday but may find things more difficult against a talented US team.
They were held to a 1-1 draw by Wales in their opening game and will be desperate to take something from this evening’s game.
Timothy Weah’s excellent first-half finish put the US in front of Wales, but Gareth Bale levelled things up from the penalty spot late in the game.
The US paid the price for abandoning their attacking policy after the break, and it will be intriguing to see how they approach the England match.
Gareth Southgate’s side looked impressive going forward against Iran, but conceding twice against poor opponents shows they remain vulnerable at the back.
Shaw and Maguire will be keen to keep things tight against the US to provide a platform for England’s array of attacking talent to shine.
Rashford will likely have to settle for a place on the bench but will be itching to see more game time after his impressive cameo against Iran.
A victory over the US would guarantee England a place in the last 16 and allow Southgate to rest some players in the final group game against Wales.
- Manchester United find out FA Cup semi-final schedule
- Man Utd can prise away new ‘Erling Haaland’ for €50-60m this summer
- Victor Lindelof key to unlocking Denzel Dumfries’ switch to Manchester United
- Man Utd in pole position to sign wantaway Barcelona whizz-kid Ansu Fati
- Dean Henderson rejected Erik ten Hag’s proposal to return to Man United in January
- David de Gea turns down latest Manchester United contract
- Pep Guardiola’s comments on Harry Kane should serve as a warning to Man United
- Man Utd face competition from Chelsea and Real Madrid for Goncalo Ramos
- Man Utd star Scott McTominay scores stunning brace in Scotland’s 2-0 win vs Spain
- Manchester United’s Top-10 Highest Earners