Rafael van der Vaart has urged Tottenham Hotspur talisman Harry Kane to choose Manchester United over Real Madrid in the summer, per Ziggo Sport.
Van der Vaart, who played for Spurs and Madrid, believes the Englishman would be better off remaining in the Premier League.
Kane is a genuine transfer target for both the Red Devils and Los Blancos, with a potential bidding war for his signature on the horizon.
Taught by the experience of some previous English stars to move to the Santiago Bernabeu, the Dutchman is of the opinion the 27-year-old should move to Old Trafford for his own sake.
Except for David Beckham, no other English player to join Madrid had managed to leave their mark.
Steve McManaman, Michael Owen and Jonathan Woodgate all faltered in the Spanish capital, and the former midfielder thinks Kane should stay in the Premier League.
“He is now the best striker after [Robert] Lewandowski, and he is the man at Tottenham,” Van der Vaart said, as relayed by Ziggo Sport (via Goal).
“It may sound crazy, but you would almost say go to Manchester United or something, stay in England.
“Usually, it is not such a success when an English player goes to Madrid.”
Kane has enjoyed another prolific season at Tottenham, racking up 29 goals in 41 outings across all competitions.
The England captain carried his team to a 2-2 draw at Newcastle United on Sunday with a first-half brace, only to see his efforts nullified by Joseph Willock in the final stage of the game.
Jose Mourinho’s men missed a golden opportunity to leapfrog fourth-placed Chelsea as they continue to trail the cross-town rivals by two points.
If Spurs fail to qualify for the Champions League next season, the highly-rated forward could be on his way out of north London.
Meanwhile, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer desperately wants a top-class striker to lead the line at Old Trafford next year.
Kane has been one of United’s primary targets over the past couple of years, but Tottenham’s valuation of their most prized asset has deterred the Red Devils from making a move for the Englishman.
- Juventus and Sevilla exploring Anthony Martial loan deal
- Anthony Martial plays key role in Man Utd’s late win vs West Ham
- Ralf Rangnick reacts to Marcus Rashford’s dramatic winner against West Ham
- Ralf Rangnick confirms two Man Utd starters vs West Ham United
- Manchester United vs West Ham United: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Barcelona attacker Ousmane Dembele tempted by Man Utd move
- Will Jesse Lingard move to Newcastle or Tottenham this transfer window?
- Man Utd cool down interest in Denis Zakaria
- Man Utd may not approve Ralf Rangnick’s wish to sign Amadou Haidara
- Juventus in direct contact with Man Utd over Anthony Martial loan deal