Manchester United are one of the clubs interested in signing Juventus attacker Federico Chiesa during the summer transfer window, according to Corriere dello Sport (page 9).
The Italy international has been with the Bianconeri for the past three years, but there is a possibility that he could leave this summer due to the lack of progress over a new deal.
His current contract expires in June 2025, and Corriere dello Sport claim that a ‘goodbye is possible’ as the Bianconeri may not want to lose him on the cheap next season.
The Serie A giants purchased Chiesa from Fiorentina after a two-year loan last summer for €50 million plus €10m in add-ons. They would prefer to recoup the entire fee (€60m).
United are currently ‘watching with great attention’, but they are not alone with Liverpool, Newcastle United, Aston Villa and Bayern Munich also keeping tabs on him.
Chiesa would be a risky signing at €60m
The 25-year-old suffered a serious knee injury at the beginning of last year, and only made his return to first-team action in the weeks leading up to the World Cup break.
In the second half of the season, Chiesa struggled to cement a starting role due to four minor injuries. He found form in the last month, but United should be wary of his fitness issues.
Chiesa would be a good signing for the Red Devils. He can play anywhere in attack. Last season, he managed 10 goal contributions from just 1,483 minutes for Juventus.
Despite this, they should not make a huge outlay on him. €60m is a significant price for an injury-plagued player. He would be a good buy for €30-35m but not more than that.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action
- Picture: Man Utd defender returns to training but Lindelof out & Rashford doubtful
- Rising from the ashes – Manchester United’s spectacular November revival
- ‘An incredible, good player’: Erik ten Hag on Marcus Rashford ahead of Bournemouth game
- Borussia Dortmund want €30 million or Jadon Sancho as Manchester United eye Donyell Malen, talks scheduled for today
- Erik ten Hag turns down Manchester United players’ request for more days off after complaints over workload and scheduling