Serie A giants Juventus are keeping tabs on Manchester United youngster Alejandro Garnacho whose contract expires at the end of next season, Manchester Evening News report.
The 17-year-old had a productive 2021/22 campaign, registering 14 goals and six assists from 32 outings for the development sides. He was particularly sensational in the FA Youth Cup.
The Argentine bagged seven goals and three assists from six Cup appearances, including a brace in the final against Nottingham Forest. United Under 18s won the trophy after 11 years.
His progress has already made him a favourite among some United fans, and the club need to sort out a new contract soon with his current deal expiring in around 12 months.
Juventus are reportedly keeping tabs on Garnacho’s situation. They could attempt to land him on a free transfer, suppose he decides against putting pen-to-paper on a renewal.
Garnacho has predominantly played from the left wing in his young career, but can also operate from the right flank. He made just two appearances, totalling 12 minutes for United last term.
The upcoming season could be his breakthrough campaign. United boss Erik ten Hag worked with plenty of academy graduates at former club Ajax, who have gone on to become elite players.
Garnacho will be hoping to impress Ten Hag from pre-season, but has plenty of competition in front of him in Jadon Sancho, Anthony Martial, Marcus Rashford, Anthony Elanga and Amad Diallo.
The Argentine will have to stay patient for his opportunities. He has already revealed that he is a big fan of Cristiano Ronaldo, and we fancy him to prove himself at United rather than moving elsewhere.
United still need to commit him to a new contract at the earliest possibility to avoid another Paul Pogba situation from 2012. The Frenchman left on a free transfer to the Bianconeri back then.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd confirm long-term deal for Zidane Iqbal, Fernandez and Garnacho assigned new squad numbers
- Man United goalkeeper Nathan Bishop closing in on Wycombe Wanderers loan move
- Manchester United join race for Marco Asensio as Ajax put 80m price tag on Antony
- Man Utd to make transfer offer for Denzel Dumfries
- Frenkie de Jong open to joining Man Utd as they near agreement with Barcelona
- Man Utd may need to spend £130m to land Antony and Lisandro Martinez
- Cristiano Ronaldo and Harry Maguire were involved in captaincy dispute
- Man Utd ready to battle Chelsea for Matthijs de Ligt
- Man Utd aim to seal Frenkie de Jong deal before Thursday
- Man Utd’s pre-season starts: Erik ten Hag’s demands, returning players and De Jong latest