Juan Mata’s decade-long stint in the Premier League is drawing to a close with Lazio preparing a summer swoop for the Manchester United playmaker.
The Spaniard’s contract at Old Trafford runs out at the end of the season, with no suggestion of potential extension talks between the parties on the horizon.
Given Mata’s age, the Red Devils have no interest in keeping him beyond the summer as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer looks to rejuvenate his squad.
The 33-year-old has become a bit-part player under the Norwegian, having made just seven Premier League appearances this season.
The former Valencia man has barely featured for United this year, with a two-minute cameo against Newcastle United in February being his entire contribution in 2021.
Although Lazio are his likeliest destination, the Serie A giants will have to meet one significant condition to complete Mata’s signing.
According to the Daily Express, the Biancocelesti will have to qualify for the Champions League to convince the player to switch to Italy.
Simone Inzaghi’s men are currently sixth in the standings, five points adrift of the final qualifying spot.
Lazio are ready to offer the Spanish wizard a two-year contract worth €4 million per season, which falls €1m short of the player’s demands.
Mata arrived in the Premier League in 2011, swapping Valencia for Chelsea before joining United in 2014 for €46m.
During his seven-year spell in Manchester, the experienced forward has won four trophies, including the 2016/17 Europa League.
After recording 33 goals in over 150 outings for United, Mata is bracing himself for a fresh challenge away from England.
- 3 possible Frenkie de Jong alternatives Man Utd should pursue
- Man Utd have strongest interest in signing Frenkie de Jong
- Man Utd identify two goalkeepers to replace Dean Henderson
- Man Utd make initial contact for RB Leipzig star Nordi Mukiele
- Man Utd to face Atletico Madrid in fifth pre-season friendly
- Man Utd could make official bid for Christopher Nkunku next week
- Man Utd best placed to sign Pau Torres
- Man Utd target Tyrell Malacia impresses against Roma in UECL final
- Man Utd studying right offer for Alessandro Bastoni
- Should Man Utd move for Chelsea target Josko Gvardiol?