Dutch journalist Rene van der Gijp has said that Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag would have signed Antony at any cost from Ajax last summer.
The Brazil international joined the Red Devils from Ajax for a hefty €100 million last season. He had a terrific start with goals in his first three Premier League games.
However, Antony has netted just one more goal from his next 30 league outings and Van der Gijp believes the 23-year-old is the ‘worst purchase ever’ at United.
He added that Ten Hag would have paid any price to reunite with his former attacker and joked that he would have even considered for €250m if Ajax asked for the same.
He said via Voetbal Zone: “How about having the wind with the sale of Antony for €100m. That is really having the wind in your sails though. He is seen at Manchester United as the worst purchase ever.”
“Ten Hag didn’t know any more at one point either. I think if Ajax had asked €250m for Antony, Ten Hag would have considered it too. You were in such a flow as Ajax at the time but you have to keep in the back of your mind that one day it will also pass.”
Antony still has time to prove his credentials
The Brazilian was a revelation during his time in the Eredivisie with Ajax. He registered 24 goals and 22 assists from 82 appearances under the guidance of Ten Hag.
He started off brightly after his move to Old Trafford, but has since looked ordinary from the right wing. He has just eight goals and three assists from 55 matches.
A lot more was expected from him after the big-money transfer. In our view, Antony still has time to prove his credentials unlike Jadon Sancho, who has fallen out with the manager.
Antony is only in his second full season at the club. Ten Hag has generally backed him to start on the right flank and the onus is on him to repay the faith of the Dutchman.
He is currently a key player in the first-team squad, but the scenario could change next summer if he is unable to turnaround his fortunes with regular goal contributions.
United will be in Premier League action against newcomers Luton Town on Saturday. Antony has yet to score or assist this term. He has a brilliant opportunity this weekend.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause
- Preview: Galatasaray vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Sofyan Amrabat’s future at United no longer obvious with Kobbie Mainoo’s emergence
- Man United interested in Leipzig striker Timo Werner
- Stats show Harry Maguire has fared better than Arsenal star William Saliba in defensive actions
- Gareth Southgate to hold talks with Kobbie Mainoo as he is desperate to see him pledge his international future to England
- Three Manchester United changes Erik ten Hag should make for the must-win UCL clash against Galatasaray