Ajax star Mohammed Kudus would be tempted to reunite with manager Erik ten Hag at Manchester United, according to Dutch journalist Marcel van der Kraan.
The Ghana international was in fine form for Ajax last season, scoring 18 goals and providing seven assists from 42 appearances across all competitions.
He is now keen on pursuing a bigger challenge away from Amsterdam, and Van der Kraan believes United could be a possible destination for the forward.
Speaking to Sky Sports, Van der Kraan highlighted that Kudus is not at the top of United’s wishlist, but could be an ideal alternative target for the club.
He added that the 22-year-old is very keen on a move to the Premier League, and he would not turn down a reunion with Ten Hag at the Red Devils.
He said: “Mohammed Kudus is a really interesting player in terms of midfield and striker – he can play both.”
“This is why he is on the horizon, on their list. He may not be the number one yet but if any of the players mentioned fail to come and talks break down, Kudus could be an ideal option.
“Quite significantly, who is in a training camp with Ajax in the south of Germany near Munich, has made it clear he wants to leave. When a player says that, he usually has something lined up.
“He is very keen on a move to the Premier League, whether that is a top club in London or Manchester. As soon as Ten Hag would knock on his door, he would go.”
Kudus move could depend on player sales
United are currently prioritising the transfer of a new striker. They are already in negotiations with Atalanta over a potential deal for Rasmus Hojlund.
The Red Devils recently proposed to pay €50 million plus €10m in add-ons for the Dane, and it is believed that Atalanta could be willing to sell for around €70m.
If the club are successful in landing him, their next focus could be on signing a defensive midfielder. Fiorentina’s Sofyan Amrabat is on the club’s wishlist.
A centre-back is not a priority for United at the moment, but the situation could change if Harry Maguire were to leave. Benjamin Pavard could be his replacement.
In our view, Kudus is currently not a top target for the club, but the scenario could be different in the coming weeks if they can recoup sufficient funds from outgoings.
The Ghanaian largely played up front or on the right wing for Ajax last term, but he is more than capable of operating from the defensive and central midfield positions.
Chelsea and Arsenal are also interested in the €47m-rated star, but we won’t be surprised if United make a late raid for him under the recommendation of Ten Hag.
Ten Hag recruited Kudus for Ajax in the summer of 2020, but he could not get the best out of him amid his injury troubles. A reunion could well be on the cards.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- ‘If you are good enough, you are old enough’: Erik ten Hag says Kobbie Mainoo is ready to face Galatasaray
- Valencia and Real Sociedad eyeing potential summer move for Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause
- Preview: Galatasaray vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Sofyan Amrabat’s future at United no longer obvious with Kobbie Mainoo’s emergence
- Man United interested in Leipzig striker Timo Werner
- Stats show Harry Maguire has fared better than Arsenal star William Saliba in defensive actions