Manchester United have been linked with numerous players this summer but few have been in the striker’s role.
Jose Mourinho brought Romelu Lukaku to Old Trafford last summer in an initial deal worth £75 million that could rise by a further £15 million.
The Belgian striker received much criticism in his first season with us despite netting 16 goals in 34 Premier League appearances and setting up a further seven goals.
Today Sky Sports understand that we are now looking to sign West Ham United attacking Marko Arnautovic.
The Austrian international is coming off the back of his most productive Premier League where he scored 11 goals and recorded six assists in 31 appearances (28 starts).
Jose Mourinho has previously worked with Arnautovic at Internazionale when he signed the then 20-year-old on a season-long loan from FC Twente during the 2009-10 season. However, he only handed three Serie A appearances to the youngster.
Arnautovic was used as a left forward previously at Stoke City and then West Ham before the appointment of David Moyes during this past season. The former-Manchester United manager then got the best out of the 29-year-old by playing him as a striker.
However, Sky Sports understand that West Ham will refuse to sell their top scorer having only splashed out £25 million on him last summer from Stoke City and even value him at £50 million.
It’s certainly an interesting link as few would consider Arnautovic as a top four caliber player. On his day he can be excellent but he’s always been inconsistent since moving to England in 2013. Though he would certainly give us a different option up front to Lukaku or Marcus Rashford.
- Preview: Burnley vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Burnley boss Vincent Kompany lauds ‘extremely capable’ Erik ten Hag ahead of Man Utd clash
- Kie Plumley announces he has joined Manchester United
- Erik ten Hag should start Alejandro Garnacho vs Burnley after lively cameo
- Man Utd midfielder Christian Eriksen delivers frustrating display vs Bayern
- Manchester United goalkeeper Andre Onana owns up to his catastrophic error against Bayern Munich
- Bayern Munich 4-3 Manchester United: Player ratings as Andre Onana and Christian Eriksen disappoint massively
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bayern Munich, Pellistri starts
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe and Sheikh Jassim reluctant to raise their bids for Manchester United following their poor start to 2023-24
- ‘Would have signed anything’: Brazilian midfielder reveals chat with Sir Alex Ferguson convinced him to join Man Utd