Reports suggest that Manchester United and Jose Mourinho are plotting a huge £80 million swap deal involving Anthony Martial and Chelsea star Willian.
The Red Devils boss is a huge admirer of Willian from his days as the Chelsea team boss. Blues on the other hand are keen to bring the United’s French striker Martial on board.
With FIFA World Cup 2018 round the corner, a lot of action has already started happening in the World Cup betting industry. It is also having an impact on the betting activity in the transfers market, with a great multitude of people backing this swap deal.
Willian a Mourinho favourite from past
However, if we pay attention to the Old Trafford chiefs, they’d be willing to let Anthony Martial leave only if Willian is also made a part of the £80 million deal.
Willian was one of the two important Chelsea players (apart from Nemanja Matic) that Mourinho wanted to sign up when he came on board at Manchester United in the summer of 2016, after having left Stamford Bridge for a period of 6 months.
He is hugely impressed by the agility of the 29-year-old Brazilian, as well as his strong mentality and team ethics. However, he is having a hard time convincing his former employers to part with the talented player.
The top rung at Manchester United also don’t seem in no hurry to let Martial leave, however, Mourinho has been getting increasingly frustrated by the poor performances of the 22 year old striker. If you remember, Martial was transferred to United 3 years ago from Monaco at a price of £36 million, when Luis van Gaal was in charge of the affairs there.
Anthony had signed a four-year deal with the Reds, which will be over next summer. However, the club has the option to extend the deal for one more year if they want.
Martial has refused a renewal too
Going by the reports that have surfaced in France, Martial has refused a new contract from Manchester United. One of his main fears is that he’d not be given regular starts at United (here’s what Mourinho has to say to that), which might negatively impact his international career. It could also lead to him missing out a World Cup squad berth for the upcoming tournament in Russia.
MU had to foot another bill of £ 8 million when the youngster managed to score 25 goals for the club and would need to pay an additional £ 8 million if he successfully makes 25 appearances for his national team (he is currently at 18 caps).
Hasn’t been a great journey for them at United
Anthony Martial and his fellow striker Marcus Rashford have failed to make a good impression on Mourinho, and haven’t had the best of times at Old Trafford.
Martial came in as a replacement for Romelu Lukaku (injured), but hasn’t been contributing to the team, and more recently too as United faced a shock 1-0 defeat at the hands of Brighton, one of the relegation candidates (in an away game). This has annoyed Mourinho even more. Please note, the French international player is also attracting a lot of interest from Juventus.
- Jadon Sancho reunion would be appealing for Borussia Dortmund but there are reservations
- Manchester United to assess fitness of three players ahead of their Premier League clash with Crystal Palace
- Daley Blind sends warning to Man Utd midfielder Donny van de Beek
- Man United plan contract talks for rising star Hannibal Mejbri
- Sofyan Amrabat only wanted Man Utd this summer, eyes permanent stay
- Roy Keane sends message to Jadon Sancho after Man Utd exile
- Manchester United’s under-21s suffer 8-1 thrashing against Bolton Wanderers
- Man Utd have fresh solution at left-back with Sofyan Amrabat
- Alejandro Garnacho reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s performance against Crystal Palace
- Casemiro delivers masterclass performance against Crystal Palace in Carabao Cup