Jose Mourinho CAN succeed Ferguson at United

MourinhoOK so it’s hardly the best kept secret in European football but Jose Mourinho has admitted that he fancies a crack at succeeding Sir Alex at United. At 67-years-old, Ferguson clearly doesn’t have too many more years of management left in him, but does the former Chelsea boss really tick all the right boxes? I honestly don’t think he’s a bad shout you know.

“I would consider going to Manchester United but United have to consider if they want me to succeed Sir Alex Ferguson,” Mourinho told the Daily Mirror.

“If they do, then of course.”

Now I know many of us have our reservations about the Portuguese and his management methods but there’s no arguing with his credentials. First things first, taking over from the most successful manager in the club’s history will prove to be the tallest of tall orders for the eventual chosen one. Just imagine the pressure! Well while Mourinho is undoubtedly as arrogant as they come, that is arguably the principal trait that Ferguson’s successor will need. A manager that doesn’t wholeheartedly believe they have what it takes to match the Scot’s achievements at Old Trafford is probably destined for failure. Jose Mourinho would claim he could surpass Sir Alex’s accomplishments and it’s that sort of egotism that could handle the whirlwind of inevitable pressure.

There have only been three other managers that have tasted Premier League glory during Fergie’s legacy. Kenny Dalglish with Blackburn in 1995, Arsene Wenger in 1998, 2002 and 2004 and Jose Mourinho most recently in 2005 and 2006. My point is that Mourinho has been there and done it in England’s top flight and he knows what sort of ingredients are required to deliver a Premier League title. The likes of Martin O’Neill, Steve Bruce and David Moyes haven’t, which is one of the reasons why I would put the charismatic Portuguese at the front of the queue.

A UEFA Cup and Champions League success with Porto and also a Serie A title with Inter Milan in his first season in Italy only add to Mourinho’s already impressive CV. His record in the transfer market isn’t half bad either with the signings of the likes Michael Essien, Didier Drogba, Arjen Robben and Florent Malouda. OK so there have been some pretty terrible acquisitions too but not even Ferguson gets it right every time (Taibi, Djemba-Djemba and Kleberson all spring to mind).

I know many of you will call Mournho’s tactics into question arguing that he would abandon the free-flowing, attacking football we have become accustomed to seeing at the club. Well I’m confident that he would adapt his management style, accommodating the player’s he has at his disposal and I really don’t see a great deal of change in that department. Mourinho isn’t stupid. He will know the likes of Nani and Wayne Rooney are at their best when they are given the freedom to go and express themselves. I’m sure he’d be capable of finding a suitable balance anyway.

The main worry I have for Mourinho would be that he would have to hit the ground running. Every Manchester United fan with half a brain trusts Sir Alex in whatever he does where every decision is supported as we know that he will always have the best interests of the club at heart. Like Wenger at Arsenal, Fergie is part of that rare ‘job for life’ breed and when he does eventually call it a day, the whole mentality of the fans will change. Even the slightest whiff of failure or ill judgement and the majority of supporters will turn against Mourinho. Jose, you’ve been warned.

So there you have it. I’m happy to throw my cards on the table and admit that I would be cautiously optimistic if Jose Mourinho was installed as the next United boss. With the biggest job in football comes even bigger responsibility so do you feel that the 46-year-old is capable of becoming the extra ‘Special One’ at United? I guess that’s a question for David Gill to answer.

1. tevez

29 July 2009 at 00:53

@NicoQB: Adebayor and santa cruz are very similar players. If adebayor has a starting place in the team already, tevez will be favoured over cruz not due to reputation but because he is a more suitable strike partner. It’s tevez with one of the other two. And adebayor’s the least talented player of the three. Obviously tevez is the most talented. 😉

29 July 2009 at 02:28

@tevez: Doesn’t discout the fact that he’s a twat!

29 July 2009 at 02:32

@tevez: And reputation plays a huge part in a manager’s decision to start players or not. Raul starts ahed of RVN and Huntelaar purely on reputation.
    Scholes and Neville start games at united when clearly they can’t cut the mustard anymore.
    Darren Bent and Pavlyuchenko were favoured at Spurs in front of Campbell because of their transfer tag. Rossi didn’t play at Newcastle because he was a no-name at the time.
    The list goes on and on and on.

4. Snoopy

29 July 2009 at 04:23

It is good to see Mourinho in charges MU one days as he consider one of the best manager now… 😀

5. TurkishRED

29 July 2009 at 07:03

New away kit to be unveiled at manutd.com at 8:00 am BST which is roughly one hour from now.

Link

6. Gabriel

29 July 2009 at 08:10

@TurkishRED: just seen it… meh!!! It prob would have looked better if the stripes were red as opposed to blue!! I mean, we are the Red Devils!! 😛 😈 Anyhoot, I reckon Evra could be a model if and when he decides to quit footie.. the guy sure knows how to strike a pose!! Zoolander’s got nothing on Patrice I tell ya!! 😆 😆

7. spizzy

29 July 2009 at 09:18

i would like to see mourinho at united, he could simply continue where ferguson left off.I think chelsea got him so as to simply win trophies for chelsea at whatever the cost.He was given the job because they wanted instant success in the league and in europe.At united that pressure would be off because i don’t think the board would give him such responsibilities and not back it up with an incredible amount of transfer cash.He would have to work with whats there and also build on youth as he did at porto.He’d probably have a grace period of two to three years.Coupled with a good assistant like quiroz he would definitely work wonders.

8. Stephen

29 July 2009 at 09:23

@spizzy: Mourinho hasn’t got the class to manage our great club, he plays awful football does not promote youth not he is anti United, I would burn my season ticket if he darhened our door.
    Also I would never want CQ back, he has walked out twice and that is enough for me.

9. Stephen Darwin

29 July 2009 at 09:56

@Stephen: Who would you want then? Other prime candidates seem to be MON, David Moyes and Laurent Blanc…

10. Stephen

29 July 2009 at 10:02

@Stephen Darwin: There arn’t many glaring candidates available, O’Neil and Moyes seem obvious ones.
    The issue with TNSSO is he would cause more problems than he would solve, his record in the transfer market is open to heavy debate, he would drag the club reputation through the mud, like he did with Chelsea with his false claim about Frisk ect, he has no class and that is not what I want at my club.

11. Dan

29 July 2009 at 10:08

@NicoQB: Theres a newbie section that, if you havent joined before, you wouldnt know about. Its closed from the public, but its a much smaller place(only 2 forums in the section, Football section and a general chat section) but arguably just as good if not better then the main part of redcafe.

29 July 2009 at 10:16

@Stephen: Unfortunately i strongly disagree with this bro… Like i have pointed out before in Comment 2#

7. Playing style. I am a firm believer that he won’t be as bad as some people make him out. I mean i will again take you back to the 2 PL winning season of chelsea. They literally dominated it. And if my memory serves me right then Chelsea was the highest scoring and least conceding team at that time. I remember there were so many matches where Chelsea won by scoring 3-4 goals. I don’t think by any stretch of an imagination it was boring. Many it was for us but not for Chelsea Fans. To at to that he also knows how to win ugly if required which is necessary for champion side (which is essentially what Arsen Wenger lacks 🙂 ). One thing that happens that normally if he gets on top of the table he keeps it till he seals it. And I think that is a crux.

Moreover, I don’t buy into what most of the people are saying about the youngsters and all. I mean people can’t just see from what he has done at Chelsea they should also see what he has done at Porto as well. He did built a team which was a champion. I mean his team at Porto and Chelsea clearly suggest that he is capable of both Building team (Porto)with limited resources ala Porto, and where he was asked to buy success he showed he can ala Chelsea (Mind you all its not that easy like Scolari showed us)…

So, for me he has clearly showed that he is capable of what ever you ask to do from him… And people talk about his big ego.. For me that’s his biggest strength… Imagine who so ever is going to take the baton he will have to deal with Tabloids in England as Man UTD boss for me the toughest job… He can do it with its big ego… For me He also has the record to back that ego as well… So he is the MAN for me to take it over and may CQ as the No. 2 the Cracking pairing… The winner… 🙂 😀 😆

29 July 2009 at 10:20

@Stephen: If you have any plans of burning the season tickets then Pass it on to me plzzzzzz 🙂 😀

I would rather put it on E Bay and do an auction (as i can’t come to OT every alternate week from India).. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

14. Scorp

29 July 2009 at 10:45

@Onkar: Mourinho yens for spotlight. He is such an arrogant man, he would put himself above the club, I believe.He would want a victory to be called ‘ victory for Mourinho’s men’ rather than ‘a victory for United’.
    Some fans are saying that if given the time, Mourinho might actually get the youth players into our first team. It’s all speculation, isn’t it? At Chelsea, Inter and Porto he has not shown evidence of it. At Porto, he did not the get young players through. Carvalho,Deco et al were already established first team players. The only trait he possibly shares with Fergie is his winners mentality and the desire to be on the top. Also he is better tactically.
    But just looking at Chelsea players’ behaviour since he took over just makes me cringe. I would never want United players to behave in such a way. We do want to win all the times but in a fair way. Mourinho doesn’t give two hoots about that.

29 July 2009 at 11:09

@Scorp: I am just fed up of this Youth policy and all talk…. Look at Arsenal Team I mean they are all youth… They have probably the best in the business in term as far as spotting the young kid is concern.. They play may be the best brand of football.. I would say second only to Barca (and definitely better than MAN UTD) but, the question lies that What have they won??? None…

And tbh I would like to Mourinho in my dugout any given day rather than having that Kid loving Arsen Wenger (no disrespect to the man he has constraint due to its rubbish board)….

And its not about Youth only its about the building the TEAM and to be honest he has proven at Porto that He Certainly Can!!!!

And to get you back to point by having youth and giving time to build a team and all Man UTD will call for a trouble. As 4 yrs without trophy and then imagine the Level of Debts…. 🙁 And that is the prime reason I want him… Because for Man UTD’s survival the continuing success is the necessity which the Self Proclaimed Special One can Guarantee…

After who can say such things (quotes about Chelsea and Himself)

“Since I left I became champion again but they have not been champions again. I keep winning and they don’t.”

I just love his Arrogance, Attitude, Ego and moreover the CV to back all of it….

16. Scorp

29 July 2009 at 11:29

@Onkar: Well if we want to have him as the manager because purely of the success that we crave for , then it is like we are selling the soul of the club to the devil.

No one wants Mourinho to bring up kids like Wenger does, that is not what we want, a mix of the two. Yes, you do get in world class players when they are available but do reap the rewards of having an academy. That is what Sir Busby and Sir Ferguson stuck to all their years, isn’t it. Mourinho is a damn good manager, no question about that but somewhere down the line we do need to question if he would fit in with the ethos of the club.

17. Dan

29 July 2009 at 13:24

@Onkar: Mate, best team in the world are barca, the key players from barca are xavi, iniesta and messi. All brought up from their youth.

Thats a reason why we should develop youth and save money, rather then paying £30mil for 30 year olds!

29 July 2009 at 13:37

@Dan: I never said that we should stop developing talent did I? All i am saying that I don’t find any substance in these things of youth and all… OK fine.. I agree that Barca is the best team in world today but then can this be only thing that should be the criterion for the next manager.. I mean the fact is They have so called academy players in abundance but still they are spending mad money for big match bottler IbrahimoBitch.. And that says a lot as well…
    Secondly, when you are giving Barca’s Example try and see what we have… We can’t stand anywhere close to Barca in terms of player development in last 5-7 yrs and that’s also a Fergi era as well.
    And after the class of 94 just tell me any player who has been world beater.. I mean there are potential star but still no final product… So academy is not good enough… Can’t compare this example and that why can’t really provide any substance to your point…

19. Dan

29 July 2009 at 13:55

@Onkar: Mate, those players developed into world class players by playing in the first team, it didnt happen over night.

Fucking xavi played against us in the treble winning season, he was hardly world class then, look at him now! If you look at your previous post, you are basically implying that less youth development is better if we get big name players, and now in this post your saying that our youth system doesnt work. Wouldnt common sense suggest, we should try and make it work rather then bring in mourinho who wouldnt even play youth players in the carling cup? Bringing in mourinho would halt our youth progress even further!

29 July 2009 at 14:10

@Dan: Don’t just throw comment which oppose the name Mourinho but also give a name of the manager which will substantiate your point. I mean i don’t know what you took out as a implied meaning of things.. My point is simple I care a damn about all these things as long as our club is alive to the full health. If we don’t win it will be dead soon and we may end up like Leeds did. So, no time for experimenting with Managers Post or else no club…no youth system…
    If you can’t agree then Give me the name of One manager which will fit the bill….

21. Dan

29 July 2009 at 14:28

@Onkar: Martin O’Neill, David Moyes, Pep Guardiola, Frank Rijkaard.

Then theres the wild card of Cantona. Apart from cantona, these players have all enjoyed success at the highest level. O’Neill, and Moyes have has limited funds to spend as well, so have had to buy the right players that would fit into the team, and develop youth as well. Young, Agbonlahor, gosling, rodwell, have all had enough chances at a young age whilst their respective team still keeps its flow.

22. Innes

29 July 2009 at 15:06

Mourinho is odds on favourite with betfair punters at 4.8. Next candidate is a mile out at 9.0 – David Moyes.

http://www.3nil.co.uk – like digg, but for football

23. Stephen

29 July 2009 at 15:50

A lot of this debate is people do not want Mourinho rather than who will replace Fergie that is a different argument.
    Mourinho took over Chelsea when they finished second in the league and had limitless money to spend, and Porto when he took over also finished second, also he took over Inter when they were champions, wow isn’t he great!
    Also CQ is a turn coat who has walked out on us twice, I never ever want him back because he would do it again.

24. jamie lee

29 July 2009 at 16:18

there is only one man u should replace fergie and that in my opinion is martin oneill. he has done really well wherever he has been, his man management is good and he is loyal and ambitous

25. Monkwahhdo

29 July 2009 at 17:06

imho: I would like MOYES to become the next manager, this guy drives a hard bargian in both selling and buying players, he has great vision and does not deter from that vision. He sets his goals and he damn well trys to achieve them with what little rescource he is given. At OT he would have an established youth system to which he could improve. A half decent war chest every transfer window. Granted the team may need to carry him for the first season whilst he gets on his feet so fergie best start whipping this team into full blooded champions of the world in time for the day he finally take his final bow as our legendary Manger! 😥
    Cantona: Great player no mangaing experience
    MON: poor mans MOYES
    Mourinho: Shiney talisman that would not stand the test of time. Like to win at all cost which would include the youth system and also a lot of money.
    Blanc: errmm not to sure what to say. don’t rate him that highly (yet)
    rikjaard: ??? nope not for me, just don’t figure him a premiership manager.

Peace out

26. tom

29 July 2009 at 22:27

what a bloody disgrace this person is. if what is reported is true no he shoud be immediately sacked from his current position as inter coach and be left on the sidelines until saf retires and then be told his not wanted by united. this man thinks hes above everybody. what sort of person would announce his interest for another club. anyway he is not a united coach. his style of coaching relies on keeping a clean sheet and using the best strikers in the world to score the winners. often teams that he coaches give up alot of the play and soak pressure. this suited chelsea as they were hunting for their 1st glory but not after. in italy winning is the only thing that matters and therefore any playing style will be tolerated as long as yhe team is winning. inter will keep on winning regardless of the coach because of their squad. i’m an inter fan i hope they sack him straight away and charge hin with disloyalty instead of paying him the highest salary in football management.

27. Rabadila

20 November 2015 at 16:24

Have a look to see how many goals S.Fletcher is on now, got to 20+.Also how is barkley doing out on loan?1 last thing, have a look at Adryan from fgaemnlo in brazil a top class kid only 17/18maybe 19 on urs he could? be that something special u need.

28. Rabadila