Manchester United travel to Ashton Gate to face Bristol City in the quarter-final of this season’s EFL Cup this evening.
Having only just played at West Brom on Sunday and with a trip to Leicester City in the Premier League to come on Saturday, Jose Mourinho is expected to make a number of changes to our starting XI to face the Championship side.
One of those changes is expected to be Sergio Romero replacing David de Gea in goal. The Argentine has played both our previous EFL Cup matches this season as well as starting our final two Champions League group stage matches.
We could also see Luke Shaw start another game at left-back whilst Matteo Darmian is expected to come in on the right-hand side of our defence after Antonio Valencia picked up a hamstring injury over the weekend.
Paul Pogba is available again after suspension and with his fitness levels it is widely expected that he will go straight back into the starting lineup to face both Bristol City and Leicester.
Another player who hasn’t played much of late is Henrikh Mkhitaryan. The Armenian’s poor form has seen him dropped in favour of Juan Mata and Jesse Lingard in recent weeks. However, the boss has hinted the 28-year-old will feature this evening.
Mourinho told MUTV:
“He [Mkhitaryan] can [be back]. I am making a few changes for the match, but not many because Bristol City are one of the best teams in the Championship.
“At the moment, we are playing [Juan] Mata, [Marcus] Rashford, [Jesse] Lingard or [Anthony] Martial and [Romelu] Lukaku. So, on the bench, we have [Zlatan] Ibrahimovic and one of the other ones, Martial or Rashford. So there is no space for everyone because you need balance on the bench too.”
Henrikh Mkhitaryan has played only 19 minutes in our last seven Premier League games combined and hasn’t featured in either previous EFL Cup match so far this season.
- Victor Osimhen’s agent has received calls from Man Utd but Napoli firm on price tag
- Manchester United in talks to sign Atalanta’s Rasmus Hojlund and Eintracht Frankfurt’s Randal Kolo Muani
- Ajax and Edson Alvarez are Man Utd’s best bet for moving on Donny van de Beek
- Man Utd identify Moussa Diaby as Anthony Martial’s heir – Report
- Manchester United: Rangers in advanced talks to sign Jack Butland on free transfer
- How Man Utd Could Line Up For the 2023/24 Premier League Season
- Man Utd ready to hand £10m pay-off to Harry Maguire ahead of possible West Ham move
- Man Utd interested in signing Dusan Vlahovic as Juventus set asking price
- Chelsea midfielder Mason Mount agrees terms with Man Utd ahead of likely transfer
- Anthony Elanga price drop shows Man Utd’s desperation to shift unwanted players