Jose Mourinho spoke to the media at today’s press conference and gave a team news and injury update ahead of Manchester United’s Premier League game versus Everton on Sunday.
The boss was able to confirm that Paul Pogba will not play a part in this weekend’s fixture due to the hamstring injury he picked up in the opening 20 minutes of our 3-0 victory over FC Basel in the Champions League on Tuesday night.
Pogba was named as our captain for the first time for our match against the Swiss champions but it ended in disappointment for the France international as he went off injured early on to be replaced by Marouane Fellaini.
Mourinho confirmed to MUTV today that the 24-year-old will not play on Sunday and that he does not know when Pogba will be ready to return. He said:
“He [Pogba] is injured and he cannot play on Sunday.
“We know that, for a few matches, I don’t know how many, but I expect we are to play without Pogba for a few matches.”
The boss made it clear that Paul Pogba’s absence is an excellent opportunity for his potential replacements to impress, saying:
“That is an opportunity for others and the others are ready to get that opportunity, and to perform.
“Of course we feel sorry that we lose a player but we are calm and confident, because it is an opportunity for people who are ready to take it.”
Jose Mourinho did not confirm who will replace Pogba for this weekend’s fixture but it is likely to be any one of Marouane Fellaini, Ander Herrera or Michael Carrick to play alongside Nemanja Matic.
Everton head to Old Trafford on the back of consecutive 3-0 defeats – first at home to Tottenham last weekend and then at Atalanta in the Europa League on Thursday night. Ronald Koeman fielded a strong lineup for both those matches meaning there could be some fatigue at the Theatre of Dreams on Sunday for their third match in the space of a week.
- Man Utd join Arsenal in race to sign Besiktas wonderkid Semih Kilicsoy
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Kambwala starts
- ‘He’s unstoppable’: Erik ten Hag defends Man Utd winger Antony
- Fresh injury concerns for Ten Hag as Varane, Fernandes & Maguire could miss Forest match
- Man Utd consider Antonio Silva as ideal candidate to strengthen their defence
- Preview: Nottingham Forest vs Manchester United – stats, team news, line-ups
- Man United players requested Sunday off after Fulham loss
- Incoming Man United CEO Omar Berrada already meeting senior executives while on gardening leave
- ‘He’s available’: Erik ten Hag confirms Casemiro is fit to face Nottingham Forest
- Simone Inzaghi on Manchester United radar as enquiries made over Italian manager