Marouane Fellaini came on in the second half of Manchester United’s 2-0 loss at Tottenham Hotspur last night, only to be replaced seven minutes later.
At the time the Belgian international wasn’t in any obvious pain and jogged off the field with his head down.
However, Jose Mourinho has since confirmed that the midfielder was suffering from an ongoing knee problem. Speaking after the game, the boss told MUTV:
“I think I was unlucky with Fellaini as I wanted to change a little bit the dynamic of the team.
“After a couple of minutes, he was injured. It’s always the same thing. It is the lateral ligament. I don’t think it’s a big, big thing but he was immediately feeling something and telling us he couldn’t carry on.”
Marouane Fellaini had entered the field on 63 minutes in place of Paul Pogba whilst Tottenham were 2-0 up and dominating possession. But on 70 minutes he was replaced by fellow midfielder Ander Herrera.
The boss was unable to give an update on whether the 30-year-old will be available for Saturday’s game at home to Huddersfield Town.
However, Mourinho went on to suggest that it is the third time this season alone that Fellaini has been hampered by a problem with his knee.
The loss at Wembley Stadium leaves us 15 points behind Manchester City but still three points ahead of third and Chelsea were thrashed 0-3 at home by Bournemouth.
- Jadon Sancho reunion would be appealing for Borussia Dortmund but there are reservations
- Manchester United to assess fitness of three players ahead of their Premier League clash with Crystal Palace
- Daley Blind sends warning to Man Utd midfielder Donny van de Beek
- Man United plan contract talks for rising star Hannibal Mejbri
- Sofyan Amrabat only wanted Man Utd this summer, eyes permanent stay
- Roy Keane sends message to Jadon Sancho after Man Utd exile
- Manchester United’s under-21s suffer 8-1 thrashing against Bolton Wanderers
- Man Utd have fresh solution at left-back with Sofyan Amrabat
- Alejandro Garnacho reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s performance against Crystal Palace
- Casemiro delivers masterclass performance against Crystal Palace in Carabao Cup