Manchester United midfielder Ander Herrera lasted only 16 minutes during our 0-0 draw at Sevilla in the first leg of our Champions League second round tie last night.
The Spaniard pulled up with a hamstring injury in the opposition penalty area and was immediately replaced by Paul Pogba. Pogba himself has only started three of our seven games in this season’s competition due to an injury he picked up himself versus FC Basel in the group stage.
Herrera was making his first appearance in three weeks but it ended early after attempting a backheel in the Sevilla box.
Speaking after the game, Jose Mourinho gave an injury update on the 28-year-old. The boss told MUTV:
“I think it’s a bad injury. The medical department gave [pronounced] him fully fit on Saturday. He trained on Saturday, Sunday and Monday and looked fit.
“The way he was playing during the time he was on the pitch, he showed the intensity that is only possible when you are fit. He pressed a lot, really high; we started the match not giving one inch to [Ever] Banega.
“Then it was a backheel that created a contraction in the muscular area where he had the previous problem.”
We are already without fellow centre midfielder Marouane Fellaini after recently undergoing knee surgery, whilst Michael Carrick has struggled for fitness all season.
This latest injury leaves Mourinho with only Paul Pogba, Nemanja Matic and Scott McTominay as available midfielders ahead of Sunday’s clash with Chelsea in the Premier League. With the Blues being fourth and only three points behind us it’s a game we cannot afford to lose if we’re not to bring any pressure on ourselves finishing in the top four this season.
- Man Utd in pole position in Kim Min-jae race but PSG could explore deal for him
- ‘Above all’: Man Utd leading race to sign Rasmus Hojlund, need to make ‘big offer’
- Man Utd provide ‘strong competition’ in race to sign AZ Alkmaar forward Jesper Karlsson
- Man Utd boss ten Hag deems Victor Lindelof ‘untouchable’
- PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi playing significant role in Manchester United takeover bid
- Stats show why Kim Min-jae is the perfect signing for Man Utd over Axel Disasi
- Sheikh Jassim will not end interest in Manchester United if Friday deadline passes
- Manchester United finalising proposal to sign Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Man Utd linked with Juventus star Federico Chiesa who could be sold for €30-35m
- Manchester United consider loaning out Mason Greenwood next season