Manchester United and Jose Mourinho have been given the green light to sign long-term target Raphael Varane from Real Madrid, in a £53 million deal this summer, according to reports in Spain.
We have been on the lookout for a new centre-back this summer and we may finally have a top one heading our way if today’s report is accurate.
So far this summer we have brought in central midfielder Fred, full-back Diogo Dalot and goalkeeper Lee Grant as the boss looks to put together a squad capable of competing with Manchester City and the likes for the 2018-19 Premier League title.
A new centre-back has been one of our priorities this summer following Victor Lindelof’s failure to adapt to the English game following his move from Benfica last summer. Jose has never seemingly been keen on Phil Jones nor Chris Smalling as long-term fixtures in the centre of our defence.
Raphael Varane has been strongly linked with a move to United for a long time now and it was Jose Mourinho that was in charge of Real Madrid when the French centre-back joined the Spanish giants from RC Lens back in 2011.
Spanish outlet Don Balon (via TeamTalk) are now claiming that we have been given the green light to sign the 25-year-old this summer after the Champions League holders decided to cash in on the injury-prone centre-back.
Varane has suffered from a number of niggling injuries during his time in the Spanish capital and has never played as many as 30 La Liga games in a single campaign. As a result Don Balon claim that Real Madrid are ready to sell the €60 million-rated (£53m) star and replace him with someone more reliable.
The centre-back has remained healthy for France this summer as he has been a key part of Didier Deschamps’ side that will face Croatia in Sunday’s World Cup final. Varane put in a man of the match performance in Les Blues’ 1-0 win over Belgium in the semi-finals on Tuesday and also scored their opener in a 2-0 win over Uruguay in the quarter-finals.
We shall have to wait and see how reliable these reports from Don Balon are and whether we’re willing to go through with a £53 million offer for the French international, but there’s no doubt he would be an excellent addition to our starting XI if we successfully sign Varane.
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe now seriously considering buying minority Manchester United stake
- Erik ten Hag can finally unleash his best attack against Galatasaray tonight
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Galatasaray, Hannibal Mejbri returns
- Why Man Utd should sign Antonio Silva instead of Jean-Clair Todibo
- David de Gea sends message to Manchester United defender Lisandro Martinez as Argentine is ruled out for months
- Man Utd missing eight players for Galatasaray clash as Lisandro Martinez’s surgery is confirmed
- Boost for Man Utd with Hakim Ziyech missing from Galatasaray’s travelling squad
- Kobbie Mainoo returns to Manchester United training after picking up injury in pre-season
- Dermot Gallagher: Officials made right decision not to award Manchester United penalty against Crystal Palace after ball struck Joel Ward’s arm
- Erik ten Hag confirms Antony will be in consideration for Galatasaray clash