Jose Mourinho is hopeful that Manchester United will have more players available for our trip to Anfield on Sunday after having several absentees for Wedneday’s trip to Valencia.
We take on Premier League leaders Liverpool this weekend having taken four points from Jurgen Klopp’s side last season.
The boss was speaking to the media at his pre-match press conference this morning and was able to give a positive update on the injury situation.
Jose told MUTV:
“I hope that between now and tomorrow’s training session we can have some positive news. But the situation is not easy.
“The latest is to tell you that in Valencia only De Gea and Matic were available to play and didn’t travel by decision. Apart from that, the players that didn’t travel they were not fit to play in Valencia. All of them, they had injuries and they were not ready. All of them, they didn’t train yesterday again.”
With only David de Gea and Nemanja Matic being rested for our midweek trip to Spain, Chris Smalling, Diogo Dalot and Matteo Darmian were all absent due to picking up knocks recently, whilst Alexis Sanchez, Victor Lindelof, Anthony Martial and Luke Shaw were all missing due to picking up injuries in recent games.
Jose Mourinho is hopeful that the training sessions between now and Sunday will reveal the availability of more players for our match against Liverpool. However, he confirmed that we will have players missing for Sunday’s match:
“Today there will be a little – I don’t want to say test – but a little introduction to training to see the answer, to see the adaptation and to see that we can increase a little bit tomorrow to have them available for Sunday. It’s better not to say for sure but I hope that some will be… let’s say available. But for sure, some will not be.”
We start the weekend eights points outside of the top four positions as we have a real battle on our hands in order to qualify for next season’s Champions League.
- Manchester United needs to accelerate their transfer plans or forget top-four
- Marko Arnautovic’s agent speaks out on potential Manchester United switch
- Man Utd suffer transfer blow with Fabian Ruiz set to join PSG
- Man Utd make opening bid for Marko Arnautovic
- Manchester United 1-2 Brighton & Hove Albion: Three talking points as Erik ten Hag suffers defeat in Premier League debut
- Player Ratings: Manchester United 1-2 Brighton & Hove Albion
- Harry Maguire insists that players will fight for the badge
- Erik ten Hag identifies Fabian Ruiz as the perfect Frenkie de Jong alternative for Manchester United
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Brighton – Three debutants, Ronaldo starts
- Opinion: Manchester United should forget Frenkie de Jong and sign these two unbelievable players for price of one