Super-agent Jorge Mendes intends to bring Joao Felix to Manchester United as a January replacement for Cristiano Ronaldo, Deportes Cuatro report.
Ronaldo’s future was a big topic of speculation during the last transfer window amid his desire to play Champions League football. However, a move away from Old Trafford never materialised.
The 37-tear-old has since been in-and-out of the starting line-up under manager Erik ten Hag and there are now suggestions that he could move on when the transfer window reopens in January.
As per Deportes Cuatro, Mendes is planning a master move this winter as he intends to bring Felix to United as Ronaldo’s replacement. The 22-year-old is said to be determined to leave Atletico.
It is added that Mendes will also need to find a suitor for Ronaldo. The Portuguese is currently the representative of both Ronaldo and Felix. Major League Soccer side Inter Miami are mentioned as potential contenders to sign the former.
Man Utd will require a replacement in January if Ronaldo leaves
Ronaldo has been suspended for Saturday’s Premier League outing at Chelsea following his decision to walk down the Old Trafford tunnel before the final whistle against Tottenham Hotspur.
Ten Hag has continued to reiterate that he is an important player in the squad, but we won’t be surprised if the Portuguese is allowed to leave this winter. He could be released on a free transfer.
However, that may largely depend on a replacement being pursued. United would not want to lose Ronaldo midway through the season particularly with the injury concerns of Anthony Martial.
A similar scenario would leave them with Marcus Rashford as the only specialist striker. Felix has immense potential but in our view, he has not lived up to the €126 million fee paid by Atletico in 2019.
He has yet to make more than 16 goal contributions in a single season at Atletico. If the Spanish club decide to sell him, they will have to cut their losses when the transfer window reopens.
Felix, who is currently valued at around €70 million by Transfermarkt, could be available on an initial loan with a mandatory buy option for next summer. It is left to be seen whether United move for him.
In our opinion, PSV Eindhoven’s Cody Gakpo would be a far better acquisition. The Dutchman has 24 goal involvements this term compared to Felix’s three which all came during the La Liga opener.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Anthony Martial could stay at Man Utd despite being ‘transfer listed’
- Thomas Zilliacus could consider buying Liverpool if Manchester United bid fails
- Man Utd could avoid signing Houssem Aouar despite journalist claim
- Newcastle United in advanced talks to sign Man Utd’s Head of Young Recruitment David Harrison
- 100% aerial duels & 100% take-ons won: Man Utd should target Amadou Onana
- Wout Weghorst opens up on life at Man Utd
- Fresh date confirmed for Man Utd’s postponed fixture, one more game rescheduled
- ‘Serious option’: Raphael Varane opens the door to retiring at Man Utd
- Man United owners will consider selling minority shares if revised bids don’t impress them
- Man Utd must avoid signing Chelsea midfielder Mateo Kovacic this summer