Former Atletico Madrid winger Paulo Futre has revealed that super-agent Jorge Mendes spoke to Manchester United over a potential deal for Joao Felix this summer.
The Portugal international spent the second half of last season with Chelsea in the Premier League. He had an average loan stint with just four goals from 20 appearances.
The Blues decided against a permanent deal for him. After months of speculation, Felix eventually made the loan move to Barcelona, who were his dream club from his boyhood days.
The 23-year-old has had a fantastic start to his career with three goals and two assists from four appearances, but Futre claims that he could have been playing for another club.
Speaking on Cadena SER’s El Larguero show, Futre revealed that Mendes spoke to United first regarding Felix before making contact with Premier League champions Manchester City.
Mikel Arteta and Jurgen Klopp were also not interested in signing the winger. The only genuine approach came from Aston Villa, but Felix had no desire to join them over the summer.
Futre said: “When Joao said he dreamed of playing for Barça I began to live a nightmare that lasts to this day. I called him [Mendes] and told him that the statements that Joao had made were his doing and he said no.”
“We argued on the phone and he told me that he had spoken to Manchester United. I verified what he told me because I have friends and it was true. Later he had spoken with Manchester City, I also checked and they didn’t want Joao either.
“Neither Arteta, nor Guardiola, nor Klopp, any club. My question is why? The only team that has wanted him has been Aston Villa. João said no when there was an agreement between Atletico and Aston Villa at the beginning of July.”
United made the right decision with Felix
Felix has been in sublime form for Barcelona, but there were doubts over his adaptability to the Premier League after his loan stint with Chelsea last season.
In our view, a move for Felix did not make sense for United, considering the Portuguese prefers to play from the left flank or from the second striker role.
This season, Felix has played every minute from the left wing. This is a position which Marcus Rashford has made his own with his superb form over the past 14 months.
Meanwhile, United are not a team that play with two strikers in the line-up anymore. Erik ten Hag tends to prefer a single number nine, who has a strong presence.
In Rasmus Hojlund, he has the ideal striker up front with Anthony Martial providing the back-up.
The €50 million-rated star has the ability to play from attacking midfield, but that role has been cemented by captain Bruno Fernandes, who generally starts every game for the club.
Taking this into regard, United may have decided against pursuing Felix. His arrival would have directly hampered the development of Alejandro Garnacho too.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action
- Picture: Man Utd defender returns to training but Lindelof out & Rashford doubtful
- Rising from the ashes – Manchester United’s spectacular November revival
- ‘An incredible, good player’: Erik ten Hag on Marcus Rashford ahead of Bournemouth game
- Borussia Dortmund want €30 million or Jadon Sancho as Manchester United eye Donyell Malen, talks scheduled for today
- Erik ten Hag turns down Manchester United players’ request for more days off after complaints over workload and scheduling