Manchester United defender Jonny Evans marked his 200th appearance for the club with a fantastic performance against Burnley on the road.
The 35-year-old centre-back was a surprise starter against the Clarets at Turf Moor following an unfortunate injury for Lisandro Martinez.
Some fans raised eyeballs over the decision to start Evans when Raphael Varane was back in the squad, but the Northern Irishman proved his worth.
Evans scored a fantastic headed goal to put United ahead, but the goal was unfortunately chalked off as Rasmus Hojlund was interfering with play from an offside position.
However, right before the half-time interval, the veteran delivered an inch-perfect long ball with his left foot for Bruno Fernandes, who scored with a stunning volley.
Fernandes was named the man of the match for his sublime winner, but the club captain was happy to hand the award to Evans for his fantastic showing on the road.
Aside from his assist, Evans had 80 touches, completing 59 out of his 65 passes with an accuracy of 91 per cent. He won 100 per cent of his aerial and ground duels in the game (5/5).
The former Leicester City man also made eight clearances and won two fouls. It was a perfect return to the starting line-up for Evans, who answered his critics in fine fashion.
United returned to winning ways in the Premier League after a hard-fought win at Burnley. They have now moved into the top half of the table with nine points, four adrift of the Champions League spots.
The club now have a double header against Crystal Palace at home. They host them in the Carabao Cup third round on Tuesday night before the league game on Saturday afternoon.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- Newcastle 1-0 Manchester United: Player ratings as awful displays from Rashford and Martial put pressure on Ten Hag
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, 4 changes
- ‘He has to play’: Erik ten Hag confirms Man Utd midfielder could leave in January
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, Mainoo returns
- Serhou Guirassy flattered by Man Utd interest
- Erik ten Hag confirms Mason Mount will return to training today
- Stats show the real culprits in Manchester United’s dismal performances this season
- Man Utd very interested in signing Antonio Silva, attentive to his performances
- Man Utd showing interest in signing Serhou Guirassy
- Man Utd in very advanced talks to sign Genoa star Radu Dragusin