Manchester United have announced their first signing of the summer transfer window, with Tyrell Malacia completing his move from Feyenoord.
The 22-year-old completed his medical and signed his contract on Monday, becoming Dutch boss Erik ten Hag’s first recruit.
He was thought to be heading to Lyon but United hijacked the deal at the eleventh hour.
The Netherlands international has penned a four-year contract at Old Trafford, with the Red Devils having an option to extend it by another year.
Speaking about the new left-back, the club’s football director John Murtough said: “Tyrell is an exciting, dynamic young footballer with excellent experience for his age, including five seasons in the Eredivisie, a European final and full international honours for the Netherlands.
“We look forward to seeing him continue to develop under the guidance of Erik ten Hag and his coaching team in the years ahead. Everyone at Manchester United welcomes Tyrell to the club.”
Malacia is an academy graduate of Feyenoord who progressed through its youth ranks to earn his senior debut in December 2017.
He showed great progress over the years and became an integral member of the Dutch side.
Malacia has clocked up 136 appearances across all competitions, scoring four goals and bagging 10 assists (stats from Transfermarkt).
He played 32 Eredivisie games last term, earning a goal and four assists to his name.
The young left-back completed 2.7 tackles, 1.1 interceptions and 1.2 clearances per game in the Dutch top-flight. He also averaged 1.6 shots and 1.1 key passes per match (as per WhoScored).
United fans were not happy that their club hadn’t signed anyone, despite Manchester City, Liverpool, Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur all making at least one new addition.
However, that has changed now and the Red Devils have secured the services of a superb new full-back in the form of Malacia.
The Netherlands international is only 22 and can improve his game under Erik ten Hag who has a reputation for developing young players.
The Dutch boss turned Frenkie de Jong, Matthijs de Ligt and Hakim Ziyech from young prospects into star footballers at Ajax. They were all part of the team that reached the semi-final of the 2018-19 Champions League.
Ten Hag also improved Lisandro Martinez and Jurrien Timber, players who have been linked with moves to United this summer.
Malacia is capable of becoming a huge success at Old Trafford. He is a top-class left-back known for his passing, dribbling and stamina.
The Netherlands international is solid in defence and also contributes superbly in attack.
Malacia is a progressive passer who is always looking to get the ball forwards. He also boasts good crossing ability.
He has been brought in to provide competition for Luke Shaw but his amazing attributes suggest he is quite capable of becoming the first-choice at Old Trafford.
- Opinion: Glazers’ £17 million Adrien Rabiot transfer disaster-class highlights everything wrong at Manchester United
- Manchester United offered a chance to sign Alvaro Morata
- Manchester United pull out of Marko Arnautovic deal
- Man Utd register interest in Cody Gakpo, player keen on transfer
- Wes Brown impressed by Lisandro Martínez’s Manchester United debut
- Rio Ferdinand urges Man Utd to re-sign Danny Welbeck as back-up striker
- Manchester United now have great chance to sign ‘incredible’ Dan-Axel Zagadou for absolutely nothing
- Man Utd can sign Sergej Milinkovic-Savic for £50m this summer
- Manchester United handed another transfer blow as Benjamin Sesko’s future is decided
- Man Utd identify Guido Rodriguez as alternative to Adrien Rabiot