The sale of Manchester United appears to be nearing a new turn.
United’s owners announced in November they are ‘exploring strategic alternatives’ which could include the partial or full sale of the club.
The Athletic has revealed that Joel and Avram Glazer are reluctant to sell the club but the other four members of the family – Kevin, Bryan, Edward and Darcie – believe this is the right time to cash in.
The sale could be stopped by Joel and Avram if they can personally buy out the shares of the rest of the family but they are unable to do so.
Avram, who plans to attend Man United’s Carabao Cup final against Newcastle on Sunday, is reportedly ’emotionally invested’ in the club. United fans will find this hilarious.
The Glazers own 69% of the club and the rest 31% is with minority shareholders.
The Glazers won’t sell United until they get their asking price
Two bidders have gone public with their bids to buy the Premier League giants.
British billionaire Sir Jim Ratcliffe is ready to buy the complete shareholding of the Glazers (69%), giving him a decisive seat at the table.
However, Qatari Banker Jassim Bin Hamad Al Thani is ready to buy the entire club.
Man United’s share price rose significantly since the news broke out that the Glazers are ready to end their 17-year-old stint at the club.
The stock has plunged by more than 15% in the last few days, with fears growing that Glazers may end up staying.
The Glazers want £6 billion to sell the club, which is higher than the current market valuation.
The same report from the Athletic states that the bids placed by Ratcliffe and Sheikh Jassim are around £4.5 billion.
With Erik ten Hag at the helm, United are enjoying a great season on the pitch. They are fighting in all four major competitions, with the Carabao Cup final due this Sunday.
It will be a chance for the Red Devils to win their first silverware in six years.
If United continue to thrive on the pitch, the Glazers may insist on their high valuation or even drop the idea of selling the club.
From a business perspective, it would be better for them to sell the club after the team has seen some success on the pitch.
- Elliott Investment Management submits offer for Man United minority stake
- Man Utd continuing attempts to agree new contracts with De Gea and Rashford
- Man Utd and Chelsea vying to sign Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana
- With Paul Mitchell set to leave Monaco, Man Utd must beat Liverpool and sign him
- Cristiano Ronaldo opens up on his controversial Manchester United exit for the first time
- Tottenham Hotspur’s interest in Man United goalkeeper Dean Henderson could open talks for Harry Kane deal
- Manchester United in advanced talks to sign Watford left-back Harry Amass
- Man Utd star Christian Eriksen provides huge injury update on Instagram
- Behind only Arsenal, Man Utd have been fined six-figure sum for referee abuse
- Man Utd target Diogo Costa could be sold as Porto require €50m to balance their books