Manchester United academy forward Joe Hugill has been voted the Premier League 2 Player of the Month for January.
Hugill kicked off the month by grabbing the winning strike against Fulham, before scoring two goals apiece in the consequent matches against Liverpool and West Ham United.
He netted five times in four games as the United under-21s boasted a 100% record to move up to eighth place in the standings.
Also nominated for the PL2 monthly accolade were Dominic Ballard, Carlos Borges, Adedire Mebude, Mikki Van Sas, Mason Burstow, Abu Kamara and Divin Mubama – all of whom Hugill got the better of following an impressive start to 2023.
Alongside fellow academy teammates Sonny Aljofree and Maxi Oyedele, Hugill is currently on loan with National League outfit Altrincham FC.
He will be looking to help his side secure promotion with 17 matches left to make up a six-point deficit in the race for a playoff spot.
Hugill’s development bodes well for Manchester United
Over the years, Man United have developed a knack for producing highly-talented players through their ranks, most notably the ‘Busby Babes’ and the ‘Class of ’92’.
The emergence of Hugill over the last couple of months could mean that United have another upcoming superstar on their hands as the club continues its upward trajectory in recent months.
While a place in the United first team looks a tad unattainable for Hugill at the moment, the Englishman has undoubtedly caught the eye of a section of the Old Trafford faithful, who will now be keeping tabs on him at Altrincham until the end of the season.
The 19-year-old will be targeting a debut outing for his new employers on Saturday afternoon when they visit Bracknell Town in the fifth round of the 2022-23 FA Trophy.
- Elliott Investment Management submits offer for Man United minority stake
- Man Utd continuing attempts to agree new contracts with De Gea and Rashford
- Man Utd and Chelsea vying to sign Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana
- With Paul Mitchell set to leave Monaco, Man Utd must beat Liverpool and sign him
- Cristiano Ronaldo opens up on his controversial Manchester United exit for the first time
- Tottenham Hotspur’s interest in Man United goalkeeper Dean Henderson could open talks for Harry Kane deal
- Manchester United in advanced talks to sign Watford left-back Harry Amass
- Man Utd star Christian Eriksen provides huge injury update on Instagram
- Behind only Arsenal, Man Utd have been fined six-figure sum for referee abuse
- Man Utd target Diogo Costa could be sold as Porto require €50m to balance their books