Atletico Madrid star Joao Felix is back in the spotlight of Manchester United ahead of the January transfer window, Spanish outlet Cadena SER report.
The Portuguese ace was heavily linked with the Red Devils during the last transfer window and it was claimed that they failed with a €125 million offer to sign him.
Felix has since endured a difficult campaign with the Madrid giants, but this has not stopped the continuous speculation linking him with the Red Devils.
It is now reported that he is ‘back in the spotlight’ of United and the club could call Atletico in ‘a matter of weeks’ to discuss a fresh proposal for the 23-year-old.
Furthermore, it is said that United’s winter bid would be ‘substantially less than’ last summer.
Man Utd unlikely to sign Felix in January
United made a huge outlay of over €250 million to sign six players over the summer. Football director John Murtough has since ruled out a similar kind of spending.
On top of this, Murtough clarified that the club are focusing their rebuild during summer transfer windows. Hence, we don’t see United spending on Felix in January.
A realistic option could be a loan deal with an option to buy.
The Portuguese has immense potential in him, but has yet to live up to the high expectations. A tally of three goals and three assists from 17 games this season is far from impressive.
As a result, his Transfermarkt value has drastically dipped to €50m this month and in our opinion, United should stay away from him unless Atletico accept an initial loan deal.
If United have plans to spend big on an attacking player, the focus should be on PSV’s Cody Gakpo, who is in the form of his life at the moment. He was valued at €50m last summer.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd really like Juventus star Gleison Bremer, will cost at least €70m
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe finally completes purchase of minority stake in Manchester United
- Man Utd star Casemiro open to Saudi Arabia move, interest remains valid
- Man Utd pressing to sign Gleison Bremer, strongly targeting summer deal
- Chelsea beat Manchester United to the signing of Sam Jewell
- Man United spending power to be limited this summer amid PSR concerns
- Wan-Bissaka out for two to four weeks with fresh injury but Mount close to availability
- Manchester United could rival Liverpool for Crystal Palace centre-back Marc Guehi if Dan Ashworth can be appointed in time
- Manchester United table offer for Paris Saint-Germain star Kylian Mbappe
- Manchester United won’t pay £20m for Newcastle director Dan Ashworth