Manchester United attacker Jesse Lingard looks set to favour a move abroad once his contract expires during the summer, The Telegraph reports.
The England international has been a fringe player this season and is expected to leave on a free transfer when his deal concludes on June 30.
Newcastle United were heavily linked with a loan move for him in January, but a deal did not materialise due to the exorbitant £16 million fee demanded.
It is now reported that the Magpies are unlikely to revisit their interest with Lingard eyeing over £150,000-a-week in wages on top of a significant signing-on fee.
They have no plans of breaking their wage structure for him. Lingard is now being fancied for a move abroad with a number of Serie A clubs interested.
Lingard had a terrific loan stint with West Ham United during the backend of last season, bagging nine goals and five assists from just 16 games in all competitions.
It was anticipated that he could make the permanent switch to the Hammers last summer, but then-manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer blocked his potential exit.
Lingard was assured more minutes, but it was hardly the case. It has been the same situation under interim boss Ralf Rangnick during the second half of the season.
Hence, it is a no-brainer for him to leave the club. He is said to have no plans of speaking with incoming boss Erik ten Hag after his poor treatment this term.
Aside from Newcastle, West Ham have been touted to sign him for a while, but Lingard’s salary demand would make the highest earner by a decent margin.
On top of this, the significant signing-on fee could put them off. A Serie A move appears realistic with AC Milan and Juventus among favourites to sign him.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Newcastle 1-0 Manchester United: Player ratings as awful displays from Rashford and Martial put pressure on Ten Hag
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, 4 changes
- ‘He has to play’: Erik ten Hag confirms Man Utd midfielder could leave in January
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, Mainoo returns
- Serhou Guirassy flattered by Man Utd interest
- Erik ten Hag confirms Mason Mount will return to training today
- Stats show the real culprits in Manchester United’s dismal performances this season
- Man Utd very interested in signing Antonio Silva, attentive to his performances
- Man Utd showing interest in signing Serhou Guirassy
- Man Utd in very advanced talks to sign Genoa star Radu Dragusin